Moving to Derby tommorow

Ref "maidens"...I was of course being polite...there used to be rather a lot of "courses" at Evesham...a lot of us took to the between sort...I'm talking the prefix word here btw. And as I recall I was never unlucky(?) enough to meet a 3 pinter. There are of course plenty of other plays on this subject, just on the term "liquor" alone.

Ref Derby, surely that was once the home of "old boilers"?

Been a while since I've been around Derby, but assuming they all still exist...

Olde Dolphin on Iron Gate - for a pint of something that has flavour rather than the nasty lager you get in most Derby pubs.

The Brunswick Inn (out by the train station) decent pub, with own brewery attached, challenge used to be to do a pint of all the ales on tap, which depending on the time could mean up to 18 pints - they did a lovely pint of porter as well.

The Blessington Carriage on Chapel Street - used to do an awesome Chip stottie...

Some more practical places...

RF Potts on Babbington lane - used to be a good shop for all your random electrical component / computer parts needs.

Samways cycles on Ashbourne road is a good bike shop if you want to get out and about on a bike (there is a national cycle route which takes you along the river and old canals to Nottingham if you are inclined)

Mr Grundys Tavern on Ashbourne road - did an amazing sunday lunch for not much money...

word of note though - been 5 years since I've lived there, as far as I can tell all these places still exist, but there were a few others I was going to recommend which I can no longer find on google...

See, I generally avoided the flowerpot, a few too many dodgy cover bands for my liking. I would say check out the Vic Inn as well, though I know it has changed hands yet again... Its worth a visit just to see all the posters on the walls of all the bands that have played over the years, some impressive names have played in that dodgy, very small back room!

Following the Freshers Real Ale Trail last tuesday, it looks like there is going to be a real ale society formed. Brewery trips, pub crawls, etc.

Ale Trail went round the dolphin, the brewery tap, the railway(IIRC) and a few others. It turns out a good number of students like a proper pint!

Ah the tap, now there is one I had forgotten! apparently they have taken over the greyhound (on friar gate, so not far from the Markeaton campus for a lunch time pint ;) ) - Last time I was there it was a good / dodgy rock pub where you stuck to the floor, then it closed down, and apparently is a much more sophisticated place now.

Ah the tap, now there is one I had forgotten! apparently they have taken over the greyhound (on friar gate, so not far from the Markeaton campus for a lunch time pint ;) ) - Last time I was there it was a good / dodgy rock pub where you stuck to the floor, then it closed down, and apparently is a much more sophisticated place now.

It is indeed, a good number of real ales, decent food. and right next to my halls... not that I would ever be tempted to interrupt my valuable eduction or anything like that http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

The Brewery Tap does a selection of 5 local ales and a bowl of Derbyshire cheese for £5, well worth it. That place has changed a lot, I used to date the young lady who lived above the pub back when it was The Royal Standard. I grew up in Derby, great place I think. I remember the day they made everyone redundant at The Playhouse, sad times.

Also check out the Severn Stars pub and, on a hot summers day (or any day for that matter!), try The Abbey in Darley Abbey, you can walk there from town. Cheap beer and the greatest beer garden/public park I've been to..

Enjoy

Archived