Mains conditioning cables

scaryrobot

Hi Fi tweaks , dontcha just love `em...

When CDs were new there was the green felt tips that you drew round the outside of the CD with, stopped stray laser reflections.....

A hi fi mag claimed Armor All, car cleaning stuff, made your CDs sound better, after a short while people discovered Armor All was eating their CDs, well the laquer on them.

Hi Fi vendors to the rescue, someone started marketing, Armor All Remover for CDs.

Some of the old faves dont go away though:

http://www.noteworthyaudio.co.uk/diy/page16.html

Whats noteworthy about this is, Gold tarnishes but dosent rot, in contact with a n other metal electrolytic reaction means the other metal its in contact with will suffer, gold plated plugs are only any good in contact with gold plated sockets . Gold and something else will actually be worse than similar metal connectors.

Bit concerned to see this months LSDi giving space to cryo treated cables though, perhaps someone should send them some of the above linked speaker extensions for review }:-)

Of course, if you've just spent $600 on a bit of wire, you have to choose between saying that it makes a vast improvement to your hifi or admitting that you're a stupid idiot..

Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome. Maybe I should set myself up treating this wallet debilitating disease.

http://www.noteworthyaudio.co.uk/diy/page16.html

Whats noteworthy about this is, Gold tarnishes but dosent rot, in contact with a n other metal electrolytic reaction means the other metal its in contact with will suffer, gold plated plugs are only any good in contact with gold plated sockets . Gold and something else will actually be worse than similar metal connectors.

High quality chassis mount IEC socket with nylon insulation and non magnetic Gold plated Bronze conductors. Can be soldered or connected with insulated spade lugs. Rated 10A at 250V AC: £4.95.

And just where do you buy gold plated spade crimps? And do they think that the windings in the transformer are superpure oxygen free?

These people need help!

back to the sooped-up IEC - working on the principal of "weakest link", your electricity may come through an advanced delivery system, but it's still got to get through the bottleneck of the figure-eight connecter at the end, leading to an effect similar to the "mess on the north circular at rush hour after portaloo falls off back of lorry"

However, on speaker leads, I did hear an expert representing a well known German speaker manufacturer hitherto highly cynical about hifi tweaks, unidirectional cable, etc etc say that he had been taken aback when he heard a comparison between "hifi types" and "industrial types".....

• 3 weeks later...

I think the best one I saw was whilst reading a friends copy of What Hi-Fi. It suggested that using MK brand plugs would make your hi-fi sound better as they clamped the cable in a different way to other brands.

Boy how I laughed! :blink:

Having proven I can hear changes in levels/response as small as 0.5dB (most notably when levelling or eq'ing a rig), I must say that I've not heard any difference between cables, other than when sending speaker signals over stupid (50m+) lengths.

Clearly, long runs of any cable will ideally need the lowest-resistance cable money can throw at them, given that some power wastage can result in the most extreme scenarios. As well as power wastage, I've noted a few strange effects when using long speaker-cable runs fed from amplifiers designed to use any form of internal feedback to reduce overal gain and smooth out the frequency response.

Outside of these rules, I've only ever heard differences in the sound between individual components and sources - never the cables (unless the cable is broken). This coming from someone who has noted definite differences in sound between each channel strip on a desk, even with EQ and anything else bypassed...

Besides, if the actual type / construction of cables was important (whether for mains cables or signals), then surely we pro's would have noticed these effects by now? The only rules we seem to stick to are purely practical, eg. screened & balanced, cable construction not important except for practical considerations (eg. service life, etc)

Just my 2p's worth

• 3 years later...

OK, I know this thread is old, but we have done this topic several times, and this was the first that a search threw up.

The ASA have investigated Russ Andrews and his "snake oil" claims. Judgement here!

Action

We told Russ Andrews not use the claims again unless they could substantiate them with robust scientific evidence.

Thank His Noodlyness for some sanity!

Archived