why wont my lanterns focus my gobos properly?

numberwrong

why wont my lanterns focus my gobos properly? the projections are very slightly out of focus. they are projecting on to a wall about 6 meters away from the lanturn. I could just about live with it but I would expect a crisper edge.

I'm using 2 selecon acclaims and the problem is with both of them - never used them before, they seem very well designed. The shutters seam to have been removed.

I've tried tweaking everything there is to tweak.

It seams as if gobo holders are not sitting in the right place but I've looked on the manual and there doesn't seam to be any tricks involved - just a slot for the holder.

Any ideas or am I expecting too much from them

Have you tried a "donut" on the light? It's a piece of metal that you sit in the Gel frame and is approx 2/3 the dia of the lens. It cleared up gobos for me on some Sil30

Josh

No -

I didn't know such things existed where can you get them from?

Also - does it sound like I've got things as good as possible with out said donut? The event is this evening so I dont have time to get more equipment

Thanks

If the edges are sharp, but there's a sort of glow or halo around the edge then yes. If not, adjust the lens on the unit until you reach that point.

They're typically home made, I use cardboard with gaffer for short runs but I couldn't recommend it.

Thin metal and a pair of tin snips should do it.

Josh

James - you didn't say if they were axial or normal? If axial, make sure you have adjusted lamp for flat beam and see if that makes a difference (and adjust tilt of lamp if needed). See manual - which you can download if you don't have one. For the conventional base-down profiles, I believe you can adjust lamp position backwards and forwards to adjust between peak and flat. Obviously make sure you have the right lamps fitted (so filament is at the right height).

If it is just a slight fuzzyness around the edges, then next step is to try a donut in the gel-frame holder (which you can make out of cardboard for an experiment). However, I use Acclaim axials for gobos regularly and they are pretty sharp focusing even if it sometimes need a bit of patience to get it exactly right!

Peter

Thanks all

They are the "non axel" version of the acclaim.

Yes there is a glow around what seams to be an in focus image. I have adjusted the lamp to give flat coverage but as I said its not perfect.

I would be reluctant to use cardboard to make the donut filters as the lanterns are in full public view - Would frost with a hole in it work? (black tac would be ideal wouldn't it but I dont have any)

Is this a common problem with profiles of all makes?

I've never had any problems with source 4's (jr's and normal)

The last time I opened up a S4 junior, one of the lenses had what seemed like a donut attached to it. It's a thick edged metal ring that's attached to the lens nearest the lamp.

Archived