Deck access ladders

J Pearce

This year's show will have another big deck set (not my original intentions, but you all know how meetings with directors go).

Last year backstage access to the higher levels was by vertical ladder, which was ok as it was upper school only with only minimal cast needing to ascend.

This year it's Sound of Music, so we have the younger ones involved and a much bigger cast needing to get up and down.

There isn't space in the wings for a full staircase, but we could accomodate an inclined ladder with steps rather than rungs (often termed a mezzanine ladder), if only I could find somewhere to get them from. Does anyone hire them, as purchasing is going to eat a big lump of the budget.

If it a) exists and b) can be hired, HSS will do it.

I think for the best help you should tell us how high you want to go.

Would podium steps do? They can be hired: http://www.hss.com/imagshop/imaggrup/large/80838.jpg

or an HSS pop-up lift, which will probably get the H&S ###### barking but is actually safer than climbing: http://www.hss.com/imagshop/imaggrup/large/87200.jpg

Be very careful Jon, I find it astonishing that teachers can sometimes forget that small children frequently have difficulty levitating onto raised platforms. Particularly in the dark.

Questions such as how many performers will be up there at any one time define whether you need structural calculations, how many need to get on and off, under what conditions and in what timeframe also set parameters for you. The age and size and mobility of the least able of all makes a huge difference so casting can become decisive.

In short you could hire in any variety of things from scaffolding step units to build your own or even get a custom built set welded up, but the use of the risers determines what you can get away with. Scaff firms often have what you call mezzanine ladders and at least one system staging has variable height stair units available, one set of treads that can be used from 1m to 2m in height, the angle varying, for instance. Some tower scaff has the equivalent of mezzanine steps built in, the Instant Upright stairway, for instance.

Personally I would probably plump for less stage space and more step space to ensure access and egress, the most dangerous elements, were adequately catered for.

Deck is all litedeck (with all 4 legs...) so don't panic about structural strength!

Thanks for the rest of the pointers, they are all things we have already been considering!

I hadn't thought of trying scaff firms, that is one I shall have to chase up.

I will be leaving as much step space as I can, but our school theatre was designed by a school architect, so we're not blessed with acres of space... The switch from proper stairs to an angled ladder will leave us better emergency gangways.

Our local staging hire company have these sets of treads that are two box sections with adjustable angle, like this one pictured (although theirs don't have the handrails):

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7478/stagestep3248inch.jpg

They only have up to about six tread steps though so they aren't much good over 4' staging.

Higher than that we use the inclined ladders off our scaffold towers (with a horizontal brace between decking legs at the bottom to attach the bottom support to)

Some more useful ideas! I'm waiting for aliscaff/alistage to get back to me with their suggestions, but the scaff market certainly seems to be the way to go.

Inclined scaffold ladders sound ideal, but we don't have a tower... More digging around to do.

Archived