Filling a hole...

Stuart91

I was delighted a few months ago when I picked up a set of nine small flightcases on eBay. They had been used to hold batteries, I assume for some kind of broadcast application. The cases are quite small, so hence ideal for small hires and holding odd bits and pieces.

The only snag is that the cases had an external connection panel, which had a few protruding connectors. I've removed these but am struggling to find something to fill the hole. The space measures 90mm by 80mm, but as you can see from the photo there isn't much space around it. What I'm looking for is a panel like this but I'm struggling to find anything the correct size. I've been through the Penn Elcom and Adam Hall ranges, but can't find anything suitable. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

http://i51.tinypic.com/23qxvza.jpg

Contact 5-Star cases, they'll probably have something. That's who I bought various vents off when I converted a small "vertically standing" flight case into a "welfare station" (kettle, handwash basin, cups, mini fridge, phone chargers, 3x 2L bottles for fresh water in the bottom...)

If they don't have anything, I'm going to the local scrapyard later this week, and I know they have some aluminium 5 bar chequer plate and some stainless steel plate if you want a piece cutting? (PM me if you want me to get you some. It'll only cost about £4 including postage!)

Just go to badlycutflitecaseholefillers.com they will have an exact size badly shaped plate with all the rivet holes in the right place for you... not quite sure apart from a steel plate riveted on, you think might be out there?

Yeah, yeah...

I figured that, given a dish with connectors had come out of the hole, it wasn't unreasonable to hope that somewhere out there would be a blank dish of roughly similar dimensions.

And as it happens, Five Star have a piece in stock which is almost an exact fit. (Thanks to Mutley for the suggestion - I wouldn't have thought of Five Star as a source for parts, only finished cases). They're only a couple of quid each, which is a far better proposition than enlarging holes and a dish will definitely look better than a steel plate riveted on.

Archived