Congo Template for American DJ Pixel LED 28ch

David Lee

Hi all, quick question. I loaded the template for the American DJ Pixel LED in 28ch mode. The template gives it a DMX offset of 28 channels but only populates the last rgb channels and the 4 control channels. Apart from the fact that I can only control the last r g b cells, I cannot adjust the speed of the macros or set sound to light. I can get them working in 7ch. mode (only one set of RGB values) but still have trouble with the control side of the macros. I have had a look at all the templates above 7ch mode and they all have the same problem

Any clues? Or a site where I can download a new template (note for ETC - look at Avolites site where you can download new personalties :))

Many thanks

David

The best way to control Multi-Cell fixtures like this is to patch each cell as its own desk channel.

Most fixtures like this are patched as 'several' "Generic > RGB", with a final channel for any special 'global' bits of the fixture, like Macros, Strobe & Master Intensity.

The more complex ones will usually have several templates in the library: "Individual Item" template(s) plus a template for any 'global' attributes.

Assuming the manual I've found is the right one:

For 28-channel mode, you could patch as a "Generic > RGB" for each cell, and then the final Macro/Mode/Strobe/Dimmer block for the 28-channel mode that you've already seen.

I'm guessing that's probably an Extended Library template so you might want to edit it a bit, as that library is automatically generated so doesn't always spot the break between 'individual' and 'master' functions.

- The Standard Library is written by Real People like me.

While we could give you individual Colour attributes for each cell (RGB/RGB2/RGB3/RGB4 etc), you wouldn't be able to use any of the built-in Effects and would have to create your own.

So we leave the fixture as individual cells allowing you to do all the Effects (Rainbow, Fire, Miss Piggy etc).

Also, to be brutally honest there's only 10 built-in macros which is pretty rubbish compared to the Effects you can do with the Congo.

Personally, I would use the 24 channel mode and patch as 8 of the "Generic > RGB" template unless I needed the Strobe.

As to your subtle note - there's not really much point in such a section for Congo (or Eos).

Unlike the older Avolites consoles, we have enough space to put every fixture we've ever heard of into the libraries inside the console.

- It's something like 4000 fixtures at the moment! (v6.1.0)

So if there's anything that's not in the built-in library, then it's because we hadn't heard of it when we released that version.

The ETC Community Forum is the place to ask for new fixtures and to download new fixture personalities that haven't yet been added to the console libraries.

- If you do need a fixture, please include a link to the manual. It's really the only way for us to be sure we've got the manual for the right fixture!

Unlike the older Avolites consoles, we have enough space to put every fixture we've ever heard of into the libraries inside the console.

The purpose of the Avolites library downloads is to keep up to date. New personalities are added daily. These take the form of complete collections for each console and it has nothing to do with available space.

Thanks for the clarification Nick.

I meant the Pearl 2004 etc which didn't have much space, much like the ETC Express(ion)

- Flash was super expensive then!.

The newer Avolites consoles of course don't have that limitation.

oops, didn't mean to start a war between avo and etc :)

It would be nice to have a dedicated space on the etc website to download new files. looked all over the forum but could only find random posts with added files. A page dedicated to standard templates would be good. The extended ones for the American DJ unit were nearly as bad as the units themseleves :) It was a request by the LD to run them in 28ch mode so he could access the sound to light functions. Got around it by running them in 7ch mode and using the generic rgb template to set the cells and created a custom control channel for the modes (as suggested - just couldn't be bothered to program up 9 banks of 8 cells each time.)

Ta

David

Archived