Six-way dimmers - Zero88? Strand?

pritch

I'm starting to look at replacement dimmers. A few years ago, we bought in response to an urgent need for new dimmers, but with budgetary constraints. In other words... we bought Chinese rubbish, with weird dimmer curves and various other problems.

Must have:

Three phase

Six channel

10A (or more) per channel

15A outputs OR hardwired

Rack mountable; 4U or less if the dimmer has its own sockets, 2U or less if hardwired

Not Showtec/Botex/Whoever rebadges the same stuff

Should have:

No fans

Breakers, not fuses

Would be nice:

DMX connectors either hardwired or on the rear - either way, somewhere other than the front panel would be nice

The first thing that many people would suggest would no doubt be the Betapack. And that's what I was going to go for until I saw Strand 6packs on sale at similar or lower prices. Either way I'm going to be asking for quotes, so I dare say some people will quote less for the Betas than the Strand, and vice versa.

Is there any practical difference between the Betas and the Strands?

Is there anything else I should be looking at apart from these two?

We recently bought one of the Strand 6 packs as we could get a much better price than anything else. Everything is fine so far and it is holding it's own against our old Strand Tempus stuff that simply refuses to die.

Another thing we looked at was the LSC dimmers, they seem very good but have a price tag to match.

I've just had a call on this very subject; it seems that at least one person in our organisation is twitchy about Strand, especially given the excellent support we've had from Zero88 when we've needed it.

Anyone care to comment on Strand's service should we need help?

To point out a few extras that you get with the BetaPacks:

• They are fully RDM enabled
  • Offer 100% Duty Cycle
  • Are convection cooled (no fan noise)
  • Are made in the UK and come with a 3 year Warranty as standard
  • Have readily available parts

To point out a few extras that you get with the BetaPacks:

Is there any way of connecting the DMX line at the back of the packs, Jon? It's not a deal-breaker if it's not possible, but due to how tight things can get in our dimmer corner, it's certainly a nice-to-have.

I'm afraid the DMX has to be plugged into the sockets mounted on the front panel. They are on the top right, above the breakers and next to the User Interface which lets you set preheats, topsets, dimmer laws, patch individual channels, program backup states / sequences and lock the whole dimmer.

This document give you a bit more of a comprehensive list of the BetaPack features:

http://common.zero88.com/public/files/Betapack30908.pdf

What about Lightprocessor or Anytronics packs?

I can certainly recommend anytronics packs. Have used a variety of both socket and hardwired versions in both install and hire stock. Very reliable. UK built with spares readily available and very good support. One occasion when I had a problem with one pack I happened to be passing near anytronics the following day and they ensured someone stayed late to meet me who then proceeded to fix the issue straight away (and the tea and biscuits while they did it were good too).

Heres a +1 for LSC, thier Redback dimmer range is excellent in both design and build quality, and will fit 12channels of dimming in a 2-4RU Space depending on the configuration, and some of the things that the Redback line of dimmers can do is well pritty impressive (Was shown a demo of their wall mounted version at Entech 2011(Aust Lighting Industry Trade Show))

Just a interesting thing to note, the Jands FP12 (Dont know about the FPX), and the WM12 have both got a single fan in them when the internal temp gets over a certain level, but then again probably designed like that for the Australian climate where, we can have a 45c+ ambient room tempreture, and just convection colling, well wont do much I would think.

Archived