strobe

Area21

I have a Skytec 60watt strobe mains powered from a Transcension 4 channel dimmer, operated through a Transcension Scene Setter.

The strobe when powered direct to the mains works fine controlling the speed from a variable controller at the rear of the strobe.

The strobe also works fine through DMX system when I program a channel directly to the strobe.

Transcension Scene Setter channel slider up - strobe on correctly.

Transcension Scene Setter channel slier down - the strobe then starts to flash at a very slow rate and at very low power and expected the strobe to just turn off like any light wold do.

Turning the power switch off at he bottom of the Transcension 4 channel dimmer makes no difference - strobe keeps flashing.

Disconnect DMX leads to Transcension 4 channel dimmer - strobe keeps flashing.

Turning off the Transcension Scene Setter - strobe keeps flashing.

Turn off all power at mains - strobe stops.

All very strange.

My experience is leading me to think that even with power off to the Transcension Scene Setter and 4 channel dimmer. There must be a small current still flowing which is powering the strobe to flash slowly and at much reduced power.

Question - I am just not suppose to power a strobe this way or am I missing something ?

No you should not be powering your strobe through your dimmer pack, you should have a switcher. You can damage both the strobe and the Dimmer by doing this.

Dimmers chop the waveform, and this does not do anything any good except for incandescent fixtures (Par cans, Profiles etc), moving lights and whatnot do not like this one little bit, even when running at 100% dimmers still will chop the waveform if only by a little bit. Thus is why you need to get a DMX switcher, Acme do a nice 4ch one, that's rack-mountable (Their 3ch thing is a dimmer)

If the pack is one of the no name Chinese things then you are correct, there is still a tiny amount of current going through even when "off" to the fixture, it is most apparent on LED and strobe fixtures (Also moving lights as well)

The Power On/Off switch is not actually wired into the mains line coming into the circuit board, but merely sending a signal to the board telling it to bring all the channels down to 0, the only way to completely turn everything off is by removing the plug from the wall.

Beaten to it by Nic!

Archived