Cheap Bulk DMX Cable

mjriley

I remember seeing in a thread a while ago a mention of bulk DMX cable around 42p per metre but after 2 days of searching have come up empty handed. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

If anyone knows of the supplier mentioned or another supplier of 110ohm single pair DMX cable that would be much appreciated.

Well, prices will have changed since last month, let alone a while ago, so you're probably best contacting all the usual suspects and seeing what deals they can offer. I picked some install grade cable up this week at 49p/m but that's from my regular supplier who I enjoy decent discounts due to regular custom.

Who do you normally buy from?

The cables going to be used for DMX both from FOH to stage and for patch leads between fixtures but the budgets tight so I'm looking for 1 pair DMX cable ideally 100m for £40-£55.

Thanks

It's for a semi permanant install where the system is left in it's basic setup apart from several times a year when additional fixtures are brought in and patched up in the grid.

I doubt you'll get it for that price these days. Copper has got pretty expensive.

However, for permanent installation 'in wall' or in conduit, I would recommend using Cat5 or Cat6 UTP ethernet solid-core installation cable.

This stuff is dirt cheap - it's pretty easy to get 100m of 'generic' Cat5 UTP for under £20.

Only gotcha is that it needs IDC termination, as neither screw-term nor solder 'buckets' give a long-lasting connection.

- Panel-mount XLR-5 with IDC have been available from Canford and ETC for years, should be available all over the place by now.

Bonus is that gives you quick upgrade to Ethernet, and Cat5 is also great for distribution of all kinds of signals. So pull a bundle of Cat5 tielines FOH to stage and you've got a fair bit of futureproofing and tielines for all kinds of purposes with the appropriate adapters.

However, Cat 5/6 is not suitable for making DMX patch cables, so you'll need to get proper flexible DMX cable for that.

Tomo: We've decided to go with cat5e from FOH as we've got loads left over from a previous job.

Robin: I think that's the product I was thinking about in the OP. Is it green as pictures though not that it's a problem just wondering?

Anybody had any experience with this either for install or for patch leads?

Thanks

Good point about the picture, that is out of date and I must change it. No, the cable is black

Regarding the Van Damm stuff in the link, I dont have direct experience with it but as its foil screened, I imagine it will be absoluteley fine for install, and useless for patch or touring cables

Archived