Geni Mojo Scans - Any good?

Jamtastic3

Hey I'm looking to get cheap scans for a typical style clubnight effect, though still keeping on the DMX idea. I usually buy high street stuff and seen Geni Mojo Scan 1/2 at Maplin's for 150 quid each. They look ok and rotating gobos isnt much of a matter. What got me puzzled was that it only had 3 DMX channels. One for lamp/ gobo/colour wheel/strobe, 2 for pan and tilt, so if anyone has one, can you tell me a few things:

When power runs to a fixture using the DMX too, does the lamp instantly come on, with no control over on and off?

Does it have an effective strobe rating?

Is it fairly bright? 250 W or above is fine

Whats it like having lamp/colour/gobo/strobe all on the one channel? effeciant?

CHEERS TO ALL technicians

If it weren't for me, you'd be in the dark

Hey I'm looking to get cheap scans for a typical style clubnight effect, though still keeping on the DMX idea. I usually buy high street stuff and seen Geni Mojo Scan 1/2 at Maplin's for 150 quid each. They look ok and rotating gobos isnt much of a matter. What got me puzzled was that it only had 3 DMX channels. One for lamp/ gobo/colour wheel/strobe, 2 for pan and tilt, so if anyone has one, can you tell me a few things:

When power runs to a fixture using the DMX too, does the lamp instantly come on, with no control over on and off?

Yes & No If you have opened the shutter then as you run power the lamp comes on and stays on. If the shutter is closed for a few seconds then the lamp automaticaly powers down.

I have never had a problem with the lamps powering on fast enough when I want them though.

Does it have an effective strobe rating?

The slow strobe is OK but you can never get a good fast strobe off a shutter.

Is it fairly bright? 250 W or above is fine

Its about 250W bright, cuts through a 500w rig better than a 1K rig, keep the generals down and you should be OK.

Whats it like having lamp/colour/gobo/strobe all on the one channel? effeciant?

A bit of a pain, but you get used to it. you have to work with the scans and you might get some reasonable effects. and you might find you end up using open white a lot, (fist on the gobo wheel)

James

They are good, but you just need to realise that compared to a Gold Scan - well its no way near that.

They are nice DMX scanners and cheap, probably better for disco use , but depending on the effect you could use it for stage as well.

O yes, and the lamps don't las long at all! Min lasted about 30 hours.

they are very good for 150 quid each !!!

and you can find a cheaper deal on places like ebay,

not really sure we can compare these to goldenscans, roboscans, madscans or any of the other classic scanners, its all relative isnt it - if you spend alot of money you geta better scanner, well normally!! alltho I ahve seen a few expensive bad designs - the roboscan 518 has never been a favourite, unlike the 812 which is great value for money and very functional!

the thing I like about the mojo scans is they are atleast a decent metal construction unlike these new "modern" scanners, look at the martin mx1's what a nasty bit of kit! used four the other day and was underwhealmed in every sense of the word

having said that I doubt you will find the mojos have the same lifespan as a more expensive varient though, but lets face in in 5 years time when there worn out ull wanna replace them anyway !

- tom

I have had some mojo scans on hire stock now for a while, I havent had any problems.

good realible build, fantastic optics, much brighter than many other ELC250w scanners, vivid colours, effective gobos.

the strobe is a little poor only 7hz I believe.

the units I have dont have the ELC lamp, they have the capsule type, I havent changed a lamp in about 10 months, and they do get some hammer.

I also believe that the mojos have built in termination that you turn on in the last fixture on the line.

INSEN used to be the UK distributer for GENI electronic, I dont know if they still are.

the Mojo scan II is worth paying a little more for, as it has seperate col/gobo wheels.

you can get all the mojo range in 3 lamp options

ELC 250w (halogen)

EJH 250w (halogen)

HTI150 (metal halide)

vince

Hey, thanks to those who have replied to my question.

I bought 2x Mojo scan 1's the other day ago and got them today. There was only a few left in their warehouse so I thought I better grab a couple.

Nice little scans they are, good array of gobos and colours and the scan attribute are good too. I also like how the bulbs cut out when there's no motion after a few seconds - saves the lamp life.

I'll probably need to get another 2 to complete the whole four unit audio preprogrammed shows they have whenever I'm not using a board with them but a real good price all the same.

Are they back up to £150 at the moment? they were going for £100 recently.... You might want to wait for their next sale, or if there are only a few left get them now!!!

James

Archived