fibre optics in costume

cressyk

I am looking to put hanging (from a neck piece) fibre optics on a costume. This seems much more difficult than I first thought it would be. Does anyone know if I need a specific light source (they seem ridiculously expensive) and is there any alternatives which might be easier to handle for the actress?

thanks

LED fed fibre optic will give you small points.

LEDs wired like minature Christmas lights will give you slightly larger points of light.

EL string will give you a line of light, like illuminated piping. Or UV effects moght do the trick.

Whats the application?

I'm looking for small points of light hanging about 2 - 4ft down her body. I need to know a way of creating the light source relatively cheaply which will be safe enough for the actress to carry around with her.

Thanks

Depending on exactly what effect is required, it may be easier to use LEDs directly rather than fibre optics.

These would be easily powered from a few AA cells and would be very safe.

It might be possible to to use a set of battery operated LED Christmas lights.

Most fibre optic equipment uses a small halogen reflector lamp as the light source, often 10 watts or more. This requires a larger and heavier battery, the voltage is still safe, but care must be taken due to the heat from the lamp.

The light output of the smaller, cheaper fiber optic equipment can be disapointing, think fibre optic Christmas trees that are only noticable in a dark room.

I used similar battery powered lights sewn into the Dames panto frock (8 strings of them), I used single colour strings poked through the fabric and held in place with Hot melt glue.

Controlled by a switch in the dames hand so he could turn on/off as required. one pair of AA batteries did about 6 shows at 10 mins per show.

It was a good effect when he came on in a darkened stage and switched on.

Archived