Any old kit, working or not

Poormusician

I hope you don't think this post is too much of a cheek, but you know the old saying about if you don't ask.

I've been roped in to helping a local school out, and after lighting my first show with them, I'm on the beg!

I've already repaired their faulty Zero 88 Alcora desk, which communicates with a Zero 88 Demux. The let down, is the fact that the two dimmer racks they have are ancient Strand 6 analogue dimmers. Unfortunately due to this, we obviously can't exploit anywhere near the power of the desk, (and yes, I know it's nothing like the best desk out there now, we have to work with what we have).

Basically, the school was scheduled under the Building Schools for the Future program for a major refurbishment this year, but unfortunately due to the cutbacks, this is now on hold indefinitely).

What I'm looking for if possible, is if anyone is doing a rip out, or refurb, does anyone have any basic digital dimmers working or not that they would consider giving to a good home, as there are some really talented kids who we could do some great things with if we had some better kit.

Finally, if anyone has any other gear, be it lights, cables, or any other gear, pease let me know, as I'd love to hear from you.

Many thanks if your still reading!

Ian

Dimmers are not that expensive now, for cheaper brand ones you can get a rack mount 6ch one here - excluding the VAT - £120 with a three year guarantee. The school, if they actually want to have lighting, could easily find the money for this from their running budgets. It's well below the 'get three quotes' limit most have, and is cheap enough to not be considered as an item needing to be purchased via the capital item budget. If a teacher is sick for just one day, they can find the money to pay an as and when teacher - and you could buy quite a few dimmers for this money!

Hi Johnathan,

The truth is, I'm not an official lighting person, I'm a muso, who is in to microelectronics, ie repairs etc. I have no formal lighting experience, and a few days ago was the first time I have touched a lighting desk in 20 years since college. I therefore apologise for my ignorance. I'd like to be able to use the programming capabilities within the desk, as so far, I've done everything on the fly with cross fades between scenes. Also, the old Strand dimmers are physically crackling and popping (not to be confused with dimmer buzz), which as someone else on this forum has suggested looks like capacitor breakdown inside the unit, and hence, if there were any better bits of kit up for grabs, I'd be interested, but worst case, I'd look to repair the Strands with suitable x y rated capacitors.

Anyway, apologies for my obvious lack of knowledge, I'm very keen to learn.

Ian

You should be able to use the programming with your demux and dimmers. the desk just kicks out DMX, it doesn't know or care where that DMX goes.

It's probably cheaper to get the current dimmers repaired, there's little to go wrong in them and there are many venues still using 40 year old (and older!) dimmers, albeit relegated to house lights/studios etc. You could get cheap replacements but to get something of a similar quality (that will last as long) you'd be looking at £400ish ex VAT per unit. I'm sure you could find a friendly electrical repair guy to do the repair work for MUCH less than that, leaving more money for new lights/spare lamps/gel/gobos etc.

Jonathan,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. That has given me the confidence I needed. I'm also a qualified sparky, so if we are talking about that sort of cost, I'll definitely get the dimmers off the wall over the summer hols, and get the parts from RS or Farnell. And thanks for your advice with the DMX stuff too, I'm having to learn a lot fast!

Many thanks again,

Ian

If it works then perhaps leave it, and fix the broken things. Before you buy things that consume power check that you have the power available at the riser. LOTS of small school stages were fitted with 5A sockets and even 5A/channel dimmers -state of the art at the time and a fair division of the incoming power feed.

Archived