Moving to London

samrulesapply

I've had a quick browse around and have not found any relevant topics.. Let me know if I've been short sighted!

Heading into my eighth year as a technician I find myself on a cruise ship (Currently the newest in the world... Its still shiny!) as their Lighting and Effects technician and I'm beginning the prolonged beard-scratching that is... what next?

When I was a Landlubber I'd started getting some good work freelance on corporate events, smaller scale theater tours and the odd festival or outdoor event. I'm from Liverpool and was working in the North-West. Problem was that while the work was good it would dry up.. Sometimes for months. I'd be requested for three jobs on one date and then have an empty calendar for two months. I had little to no cash when I started freelancing back home so I ran away to sea, sun and a steady paycheck.

I'm now getting tired of 'school dinner' meals, early morning boat drills and sluggish and expensive satellite internet connection.

I'm contemplating using the money I've saved up to move to London and try freelancing again in the hope I can fill the diary a little more. I'm already on the books of a few companies in London that I've worked for a handful of times in the North West.

Am I being wise to just up-sticks and move to London without any employment in the hope I can find work?? It seems a little rash but I've got enough saved to get me through at least 2 months of complete unemployment and if I run out of cash.... The option of returning to sea is there.

Any advice, suggestion or guidance is really appreciated. Is there even any work in Big Smoke at the moment???

Thanks

Darren.

My advice is to leave the cruise company on good terms. If you leave them without burning your bridges, and they are happy with your work, there will always be the option to go back in the future if London doesn't work out for you, or you forget about the bad parts of cruise work, and miss the good bits!

My advice is to leave the cruise company on good terms. If you leave them without burning your bridges, and they are happy with your work, there will always be the option to go back in the future if London doesn't work out for you, or you forget about the bad parts of cruise work, and miss the good bits!

This is my plan precisely. My contract is up in December and I'm simply not asking for another one. In the three contracts I've done so far I've built up a pretty decent reputation and would be able to come back easily.

I'm still researching London. My mind isn't entirely set. I'm looking at places to live cost Vs. convenience etc.

Another thing... Will the olympics next year really create a larger amount of work??

This is my plan precisely. My contract is up in December and I'm simply not asking for another one. In the three contracts I've done so far I've built up a pretty decent reputation and would be able to come back easily.

I'm still researching London. My mind isn't entirely set. I'm looking at places to live cost Vs. convenience etc.

Another thing... Will the olympics next year really create a larger amount of work??

Hey D,

I'm also leaving my cruise ship company in December and moving back to London but I'm heading in a different direction and going less technical and more arts administration work. I've also had enough of boat drills and want to get settled back in London. I used do work for a theatre that always need good lighting guys but it's only casual work. I can put you in touch with my boss and that could bring a bit of work your way.

Let me know if you'd be interested

T

The Olympics will need techs of all disciplines and there will need to be lots brought in from colleges etc, sadly this will mean that after the games there could well be 50% too many techs and not enough work to go round. -The measure of a good technician will be work after the games.

Do please be realistic about the cost of London life, and the time and financial cost of travel.

I would say it's fairly accurate to say being in London does make for more work OPPORTUNITIES.

It does not make for more work, and neither does it make for more money.

The Olympics comment... I'm not sure how valid that is. After the games, when my CV has on it "Olympics, Major Touring Acts, Major Arenas, Major Stadiums, This Club, That Club, This Hotel, whatever" I don't think it's under all that much threat from somebody else's that just says "Olympics". Besides, the Olympics is not really comparable to anything else done on a regular basis so people who use it as the foundation of their technical profession may struggle to justify why it is of any use when trying to get a lampy's job in a theatre.

I wouldn't worry about it. The Olympics is an entirely positive thing and we will all get loads of work out of it.

Thanks Talia!!

I'll be sure to drop you a line when I'm home. We gotta meet up again. I ain't seen you since the old Butlins days! ** laughs out loud **.

I fully understand that work may choke up post Olympic year in London but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Perhaps a career in catering in 2013. ** laughs out loud **.

Where's good to live in London... Travel cost Vs. Rent???

Where to live is always down to personal preferences. When I worked on Starlight Express I lived in Herne Hill which was 5 minutes away by train, and within reason by Taxi after too many at the Arts Club. Like most of us you'll probably start on a friends floor and take it from there.

I don't have any advice to give re London but many years ago I had an ex pupil who went to the then Merchant Navy Training College at Hamble and then on to the 'Queens'. He found then, and still does now for that matter, coming to work ashore a real struggle - though each time he wants to for the same reasons you outline. You might find it easier to settle than he dis/doesbut if you don't I wanted to tell you you're not alone!

I've been covering the Olympics on the catering side and I have to say I think the opportunities there have been over-estimated.

Am I being wise to just up-sticks and move to London without any employment in the hope I can find work?? It seems a little rash but I've got enough saved to get me through at least 2 months of complete unemployment and if I run out of cash.... The option of returning to sea is there

I did this a fair few years ago and it was fine. Got a job in a venue for a few months and made contacts then went back to self employment with no problems. If you are already on the books for a few companies then that can only make it easier as you will make contacts on jobs and it should snowball from there.

Good luck and enjoy it. I did.

I'm now getting tired of 'school dinner' meals, early morning boat drills and sluggish and expensive satellite internet connection.

No just what you mean :)

Just spent the day moving all my stuff I put into storage when I went to sea 4 years ago, into where I now live in The City. Getting everything up three flights of very narrow steap stairs, in the pre- fire of London Pub I now live in, was en experience to say the least. I fully intend never to move again!

I'm currently living in london now, the NW area.

I've just left full time work and planning on earning some wonga in the capital. So far I've been doing a little club work and got some followspotting jobs in wembley arena later this month.

I've called around and a lot of companies are saying its a quiet month but are always looking for freelancers, so I've sent me CV out to everyone just about.

As for the olympics thing.. I think people ought to look outside of london, as a hunch.. I know 2 companies who will be supplying PA lights and staging who arent from the London area.. both are up in the north of the country. So it's worth looking at the larger/ well known staging companies and seeing what fingers they've got in this rather large pie.

For anyone who needs help with lodging or getting back into london or some companies to look at, PM me and I'll try and help. I also know Avolites consoles inside-out for anyone who has a quick gig using one!

All the best! =)

Trev.

A slight curve ball from me - how about moving to the Midlands? you can be in Central London in 90min by train, you have excellent road links to anywhere clients may want to use you and there is quite a few companies based here working in the corporate sector using freelancers for their events.

Just my 2p worth

Archived