Fashion Show Lighting

renierhorn

Hey, I need some advise on gels for a fashion show we are doing. We will be using the Par64's we have as the budget does not allow us to hire in enough profiles to light up the entire 35meter ramp. I want to know what gels would work best on the Par64's to get a cool white light, almost like a moving head white without filters, and whether or not it would be a good idea to put a frosted gel on as well?

Lots of even light of one uniform colour for the runway area. Every point on the runway needs front back and side lighting with enough spill onto the front row guests for them to be seen. 1/4CTB would do your job. Trying to gel tungsten to get blue always costs a LOT of light so be prepared to use less gel than you think.

Remember that correctly rendering the true colour of the garment is essential.

A quick question, what type of lamp are you using, and how many Par64's do you have to hand? If you have a narrow lamp then perhaps using frost would be a good idea, when I've done a fashion show myself I tend not to use gels as it can tinge the garments.

Lots of even light of one uniform colour for the runway area. Every point on the runway needs front back and side lighting with enough spill onto the front row guests for them to be seen. 1/4CTB would do your job. Trying to gel tungsten to get blue always costs a LOT of light so be prepared to use less gel than you think.

Remember that correctly rendering the true colour of the garment is essential.

Thanks

A quick question, what type of lamp are you using, and how many Par64's do you have to hand? If you have a narrow lamp then perhaps using frost would be a good idea, when I've done a fashion show myself I tend not to use gels as it can tinge the garments.

We have a bunch of CP60 VNSP lamps and we have 36 Par64's on hand. I don't want the gels to alter the colour of the garments but some of the previous fashion show we have done, the plain open white of the par64's are a bit too 'yellow/amber.

http://daveevansaudio.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/oxford-fashion-week-photos-up/

My blog post regarding a fashion show that I lit in March/April this year.

I would say this forum cannot provide you with colour answers. You need to consult with the creative directors. Colour clashes between the items and the lights look bad and can mis-portray the item (and this royally hacks off the designers). Furthermore, the creative designers will want some items to have a warm / seductive / soothing type feel, which wants warmer / darker colour choices and profile lighting kept to just the poses (poses generally at each end of the runway... but again, speak to creative directors to see if there's any more!). Others will want a more upbeat, funky look... which is big vibrant colours... and some will want a colder, lonelier look, with generally lighter colours and more profile lighting.

So have a look for inspiration, but I would strongly recommend you sit down and have some talks with the creative directors for each of the walks and come up with a plan with them. I will warn you now that fashion people generally do not have a clue of the technical challenges and will generally expect a fully functioning waterfall to emerge from the roof and a fighter plane to fly through it and then 1000 models walk out of the fighter plane before swimming up the waterfall back to the dressing room... or something equally obscure... and expect it all to be done for £50 and in half an hour. They are unforgiving so when you just give them 32 par cans and 4 source 4s they will look at you like you have killed their mothers.

But it's quite fun, generally easier to light, and I got to spend an afternoon 'studying' hot girls in their lingerie as they changed poses for my focussing. There's an up side to everything.

Silk may be more use than frost. It spreads the light more in one axis than the other. Use it to fill the gaps between the very spotty lamps you have. Unless you are lighting from a long way off, I'd guess that you'd be well served by going for medium spots at the very least!

Nobody has mentioned the two different aims of light in these shows - the main light, all the same colour, normally daylight, or a bit lower if the designer wants a warmer feel - then the dressing - so the set if there is one, the walls, the audience, the hardware, the foliage etc etc - these are where the prettyness creeps in, so colouring drapes and backgrounds can be great to work on. The entire purpose of the models is to show the clothes, so it needs to be bright and capable of being shadow proof if the design makes the models pass each other. At the big shows there will also be photo positions, and again these must be bright and even. We've covered this subject many times, but the usual problems are angles, so light from one side blinds the audience on the other if angles are too shallow because of low ceiling heights. Stick fashion show in the search box and you'll see plenty of older topics covering this.

I asked about the ambient light because if there is some daylight about the OP could do worse than scalp a ticket for Pure and take a look at how they do the catwalks there. Always impressive but simple too...

The event will be at night but the venue has huge open windows, so there will be some street lights on out side the venue.

Archived