Front lights with DMX?

flukather

Hi!

I want to add some lights to light up the band from the front. On the back truss, we have 6 LED PAR64 and some flower-type effect lights.

I want to be able to control the front lights via DMX, which will be on top of the FOH speakers. Are there any good LED PAR64 for natural white, or is there some other solution?

Cheers!

Nick

There are LED par cans that only have White and Amber LED's which might be just the thing you are looking for.

Or the alternative is regular Par Cans/ Fresnels and a small DMX dimmer pack, but probably the WA LED's are probably going to be better suited to your application.

For front light I still always use traditional incandescent fixtures (the CRI and temperature of most 'affordable' LED fixtures isn't there yet imho) - go with a DMX dimmer and your existing lights if possible :)

For lighting a pub sized band (I'm guessing, based on the other kit), I'd say that accurate colour rendering isn't particularly important. What is probably important is low power consumption, easy of set-up, pack-size, and cost.

I think we all agree that LED cans / strips aren't quite there for a theatrical use, but I'd think that in the OPs case they would be fine. As to which to go for, sorry, not a clue. The market changes so fast I don't even try to keep up!

Hi guys!

Thanks for your replies!

The main reason for wanting LED is control, but also heat. The lights will be on top of the FOH system, so in small places they will be quite close to our faces. Are all regular non-LED PAR 64 very hot?

Archived