Mats

Angelic

Hi all, not sure where on Earth to post this topic - but I thought it suitably safety related to be post here - please feel free to re-post if you get the urge!

I'm currently exploring into the world of outdoor events, and being the technologically minded person I am, I am currently trying to get hold of one item over the internet (with no success!).

I am looking for some of those wonderful plastic mats with cable channels underneath them. They do not need to be huge (no lorries present!) as only punters will be walking over them so strength is something I can compromise on. I am therefore posing the question to you, oh fountain of infinite wisdom - where might I obtain said product over the internet with my credit card?!

All info greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Rich.

Not 100% of an answer, but a lot of outdoor events just dig up a trench between stage and operating box, and lay the cables, then re-cover the trench. A JCB with appropriate fixing on the back can do this in about 5/10 minutes. Obviously its easier if everything runs on multi's - I've seen some people who've wired 5pin XLRs and 16A ceeforms onto the end of Socapex lines, to provide a control multicore - not sure how reliable this is tho(?crosstalk from AC supply)

Other than that, I think the Stage Electrics webshop sells the cable bridge stuff, but I'm not sure of the price or what to look up in the store - Webstore

HTH

www.screwfix.com - product codes 13285 and 12953.

But these might be a bit weedy and pathetic for what you have in mind, in which case look at Canford's range of cable protectors and crossovers (pages 192 to 194 in the catalogue I have here).

Before going any further with this get a good look at the event safety guide published by the HSE, everything depends upon your situation, number of persons present, the kind of cabling being run and the environment you are in.

Be warned, some punter tripping over your cable which isn't run appropriately could seriously adjust your public liability premiums!

Don't mean to scare you :stagecrew:

Owen

Thanks guys (and Owen :P ) I have been practicing good safety for years (like the rest of you, and have researched into the events sector so don't worry - I try not to!

I looked at the Screwfix ones, they don't look too bad, but they don't come cheap! I've a good mind to go and 'borrow' some from a worksite of some description - the workers are using contracted kit, they won't mind :stagecrew:

Cheers,

Rich.

We use wide and thick rubber matting. Got it from an old quarry plant, it was a conveyor belt they threw out. Cut it into 5m strips, and it does the job. HSE guys think it is fine.

Hope this helps.

John

A pint is always needed and appreciated - none taken!

Big John's idea sounds good - any idea of how thick and wide they are. Just seen some at Terralec - £50 per metre - there's got to be a cheaper way!

Regards,

Rich.

I knew I have see them some place!! these are for hire from HSS hire in the UK dont know if you want to hire or purchase. I also picked up a catologue at PLasa with the dang things in can I find it when I need it!!!

hope this helps.

HSS hire!

I'm involved with a big outdoor event each summer as an electrician, and we have to run power and phone lines to a lot of tents. It's all armoured cable (it's installed for several weeks so it's necessary). 90% of the cables run over grass.

What we do is get a spade, and then just lift a piece of turf up, and lay the cable underneath. You cut it deeper than you would do with turf, put the cable in, and jump on top of it. It's almost invisible and doesn't permanently damage the ground.

It does take a long time though, but there generally isn't enough room to get a JCB in....

What about coir matting - most marquee companies should have rolls of the stuff. Lay it over the cables, and use some big spikes / tent pegs to hold it down.

As for burying cables in the ground/under the turf, I remember de-rigging some 125A 3 phase cabling after one particularly wet fireworks night, from under the turf, and can I tell you how unpleasant it was...

It's all armoured cable (it's installed for several weeks so it's necessary). 90% of the cables run over grass.

What we do is get a spade, and then just lift a piece of turf up, and lay the cable underneath. You cut it deeper than you would do with turf, put the cable in, and jump on top of it. It's almost invisible and doesn't permanently damage the ground.

:stagecrew:

We buried our cables in turf too, but found that it disturbed the ground less if, rather than digging a piece of turf up, we cut into it at a 45 degree angle. This meant that the cables could still be buried, but the turf could easily be lain back down without looking too messy.

Hope you get sorted out :P

The rubber matting was obtained I think by calling up a few quarries in the area and offering to take some of the stuff away. Remember that they have to pay to recycle it, so offer to collect and they might give you a bit.

Sorry, just read the post topics. I think the rubber was about 50cm wide and 10mm thick. It was made into about 5m lengths.

Hope this helps

Bigjohn

Great stuff, thanks Big John! And thank you to the rest of you as well - there's nothing I would like more than to get out a spade and start digging, but concrete is sooooo hard to crack! I'm doing a few bits for schools, so the matting is needed over concrete, cricket greens, and of course marquee floors where the flooring guys have already kindly glued the carpet down - never mind :stagecrew: !

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Rich.

Archived