Under Water

michael

Hi guys,

I have a show coming up where the scenes are based underwater, does anybody know what gel would give a good underwater effect and of any gobos which would give an under water effect.

We have no budget to hire in any animation wheels or gobo rotators unfortunately so trying to create the same effect other ways.

Has anyone else tried to create the same effects with no budget? I did do a search but couldnt find anything of any use.

Thanks,

Michael :)

One way to create a watery ripple light is a shallow tray of water with a mirror in the bottom. Shine lights into the tray and dabble the water, the reflected light will look "underwater".

You have to keep disturbing the water to keep it rippling.

The old water-tray technique was often used with a fan to ripple the water. Other devices that shone lights down through clear trays filled with water used a motorised device that bobbed in the water. These days an effect wheel is a good way to go. A decent disco style ripple projector uses two overlapping rippled glass disks to give a complex and very pleasing water effect. The commercial ripple projectors are also a great effect for creating a bit of visual atmosphere in a foyer or bar.

Other retro options are the use of a fan disturbing slashed mylar with a light bouncing off it.

The glass disk projection effect mentioned above is a clear winner though. It gives the genuine impression of sunlight through water.

Here's a video of an LED version.

On the traditional tungsten units the dichroic disk is often on the same shaft as one of the glass disks and is actually better removed and a gel applied to the front of the light if desired.

I did one last year for a panto (Am Dram - no budget) on a small stage using 3 small profiles with very defocussed horizontal bar gobos running random chases. They were only varying slightly (say between 60% and 80%) with plenty of other wash light but it was surpirisingly effective. By random chases I mean the three lights were varying independantly and not synchronised with each other.

Dave

Archived