MagicQ issue

mark_s

I've just found a minor problem with cue fade and wait times in MagicQ. When you get down to really small values (0.01-0.05s), it doesn't quite work. If you enter 0.01-0.03s as a time, it rounds it down to 0. If you enter 0.04 or 0.05s, it rounds it down to 0.03s. While it's not a huge issue, in a show I'm currently programming I'd quite like to have a wait time of 0.02s for one of my cues. Is there a workaround to this, or is it just one of those things - a limitation of the software?

I'm running it on Windows if that makes any difference.

I'm intrigued to know how a fiftieth of a second wait time in a cue is even detectable? My fingers don't work that quick, and I'm wondering what you have going on that is that critical. Feel free to tell me to mind my own business!

It's more me being curious - I couldn't really care less about the difference between 0.02 and 0.03s, but I'm curious as to why the software does that. I initially assumed that it didn't do anything between 0 and 0.1 (which definitely wouldn't be acceptable for what I'm trying to achieve). It was only by chance when I was playing around earlier that I discovered what actually happens! It seemed reasonable to assume that as it shows the time to two decimal places, that it might support entering any value down to 1/100 of a second.

Definitely a fair question though!

It's more me being curious - I couldn't really care less about the difference between 0.02 and 0.03s, but I'm curious as to why the software does that. I initially assumed that it didn't do anything between 0 and 0.1 (which definitely wouldn't be acceptable for what I'm trying to achieve). It was only by chance when I was playing around earlier that I discovered what actually happens! It seemed reasonable to assume that as it shows the time to two decimal places, that it might support entering any value down to 1/100 of a second.

Definitely a fair question though!

As the refresh rate for a full packet is 23mS it really does seem a bit academic

The software runs at 33Hz, so you get up to 1/33rd of a second accuracy. The maximum theoretical rate is 44Hz if you're using full universes of DMX, so the idea of having 1/100th of a second accuracy won't actually help anything by the time you connect it to a fixture.

It therefore has to display 2 decimal places because if it only showed one, that would give it a maximum visual accuracy of 1/10th of a second.

Can you give a bit more information as to why you want a wait time of 2/3rds of a DMX frame?

Archived