Molefay Pre heat

numberwrong

I dont do much rock n role so I dont get to play with Molefays much......

The first time I used them they were controlled with some old strand analog dimmers with a demux unit to convert the DMX. I had them on pre heat from the dimmers and they randomly flickered. Turning preheat off solved the problem. The DMX line was not terminated (no terminators avalable http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) but none of the other generics had any problems. It was power from a genset.

I had some molefays last week running off a beta pack and they kept randomly tripping even when not faded up - using the preheat function sorted the problem out. DMX line was terminated - Power form genset with good earth

Is there a general rule with molefays and preheat or do I need to read up about general dimming and pre heat

Also.... Why are they called molefays???????

Well, I guess it's easier to heat a filament up to temperature that is already heated and therefore maybe avoid spooking an MCB. However, I've never had such issues with Moles but then even the smallest of the RnR shows I've worked on haven't been run on Betapack. Not there is anything inherently wrong with them, I've just not had a problem with any brand of 8-Lite blinder taking breakers out. Unless you totally overload stuff with them.

They can get a bit tasty on the RCD front but when you get to that point, there is usually rainwater burning off them as steam.....

They are called Molefays after Mole Richardson the lighting fixture manufacturer. FAY is a type of sealed beam lamp.

Edit to add: The actual Moles with the FAY lamps were nine lights, it's just become the generic name for multi-lamp-in-a-box fixtures that are often used as audience blinders - the 8-Lite being probably the most common.

Archived