radio mics on beach

Berni

I am doing a show on a beach next week (I'm in australia where it is lovely and sunny at the moment :unsure: ) and we are having some sound difficulties. We have a narrator who is fairly soft spoken and can't be heard well over the noise of the beach. As she is a highly important component of the show (and apparently she thinks she is projecting!) we are going to have to put a radio mic on her. I'm concerned about the amount of wind that we have and it getting picked up in the mic - what are the best types of radio mic's to use in this situation? The biggest problem is that this is miles away from anywhere if what I have doesn't work! (the things we do!)

Hello,

If you are going to use radio mics outdoor I would go for a head set mic. You can get them closer to the persons mouth, and use a pop shield. This should help you to get a lot more gain into the radio rather than background noise. You need to watch out for breath pops, off set the mic slightly to the side of the mouth..

Hope this helps

Fleeting.

Headset mic or hairline mic, but the windshield will be big and ugly if it is effective. Can you use a "dog " on a boom as in broadcast OB work then the mic is inside the shield and a very good shield. Can you place a mic so that it appears natural for one to be there?

Unfortunately she does move around abit, and it is a show about sea legends and fables so any modern looking things are going to be a bit out of place. The radio head set sounds like the way to go (although it slightly contradicts the modern thing - will have to try and disguise it somehow). Have told the director all of these lovely problems and she still wants to go ahead...soo...what can I do??!!! Thanks guys

Archived