Blackout

gleek96

Hello,

I am lighting a show this summer in which we require a blackout. The only problem is, the performances are in the day and the curtains we have in our school hall really aren't very good so allow the stage to be illuminated too much. We need the stage to be absolutly pitch black and we cannot afford the audience to see on stage in these blackouts. I do not know what you could suggest. My best idea has been a whiteout but in practice it hasn't worked as well as I have planned.

After hanging the lanterns, I will only have:

6 x Parcan 64 (Floorcan)

2 x Footlights (Not entirly sure what they are but this is a question from my schools stage manager about the same lanterns http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=47986&hl=skimble&st=0 )

I am stuck at a dead end so am open for any suggestions. I have used all of our budget already so there is a problem there however I can possibly get £100 from my school if I try.

Thanks,

Gleek96

Hello,

I am lighting a show this summer in which we require a blackout. The only problem is, the performances are in the day and the curtains we have in our school hall really aren't very good so allow the stage to be illuminated too much. We need the stage to be absolutly pitch black and we cannot afford the audience to see on stage in these blackouts. I do not know what you could suggest. My best idea has been a whiteout but in practice it hasn't worked as well as I have planned.

After hanging the lanterns, I will only have:

6 x Parcan 64 (Floorcan)

2 x Footlights (Not entirly sure what they are but this is a question from my schools stage manager about the same lanterns http://www.blue-room...hl=skimble&st=0 )

I am stuck at a dead end so am open for any suggestions. I have used all of our budget already so there is a problem there however I can possibly get £100 from my school if I try.

Thanks,

Gleek96

How big are your hall windows?

Black sugar-paper and blue-tack/tape generally seems to be the blackout material of choice for some schools that I've seen!

nip up to the art department and get Big sheets of black sugar paper to stick to everywhere that lets light in?

I dont think there is a "technical" answer to this, just make the room as dark as you can, with whatever you can get hold of.

EDIT.... post above was written as I was writing this, and got the same idea

I once painted the glass with black emulsion. My tests showed is scraped off easily with a stanley blade. My test, however, failed to take into account the time to do the entire thing. Weeks! I'd go for the sugar paper idea too!

Thank you,

I was considering the same however the windows are around 6m tall. However, I am hoping to get away with just covering the smaller ones which are about 1m x 2m. I think that this is where the lights mainly comes in from at the times we will be performing.

Thank you all!

- this is to the idea of sugar paper if that was unclear!

Tin foil and a spray mister as used to water plants. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Comes off v quick too...

where does the spray mister come into this? is that to cause it to stick?

if not could you expand?

(sorry to hijack the forum but im interested in this idea?)

We used to use large (enormous) cardboard sheets painted black but fortunately had the Tri-wall factory around the corner. You may have to rethink the need for complete blackout anyway. It is rare these days to get a total blackout anywhere what with exit lights and step lighting in most venues.

I have just put sticky backed hook velcro on my van windows to hold blind material. Maybe that could be a possibility.

Tin foil and a spray mister as used to water plants. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Comes off v quick too...

where does the spray mister come into this? is that to cause it to stick?

if not could you expand?

(sorry to hijack the forum but im interested in this idea?)

Lightly spray the glass, not too wet, and then smooth the foil onto the window. It will adhere remarkably well and peal off easily when finished with no paint or sticky residues left over....

Depending on the purpose and the speed / length of the blackout, you may want to research Black Art

It's a branch of Stage Magic, for which Omar Pasha is probably the best known performer (youtube / google). The principals are appropriate (potentially) to your needs though.

Cheers

Smiffy

Basically, it is a performance of 'The Woman In Black' so at various points, the woman needs to quickly get onto the stage and appear as if she is a ghost.

I am starting to think that maybe we could rely on the audiences eyes not being able to adjust fast enough to see properly.

Thanks

so Gauzes, two way mirrors, and cunning set design not an option then?

Nothing gives a 'surprise' ghost entrance away quite like a Blackout prior to every entrance.

Cheers

Smiffy

I like the idea of a gauze, in fact I like it so much that I am already using one. However not for these purposes. I think that with a black gauze, the woman dressed in black and the audiences eyes needing time to adjust, we might be OK. I will try some of these other methods if mine doesn't work!

You have all been a great help!

Archived