Simple PC based DMX controller

parky58

I have a lighting system with which I use a Jester 12/24 desk. Being paranoid about system failure ( and this desk has failed me before being repaired by Zero88), I have purchased a soundlight USBDMX2 interface off fleabay which I would like to use with my laptop (windows 7) as a standby.

Is there a simple and inexpensive software package which will show me a row of sliders which I can use to output 24 channels of DMX. I am only using PAR cans and a hazer so nothing complicated is required. Even static lighting would be sufficient in the event of an emergency.

I have installed drivers for the device and the DMX out light is flashing so I suppose that is a start.

you can use sweetlight software it is FREE and you can have loads of channels on it!

It is simple but you can use more of the advance features on it.

just click on the editor and click on the little DMX button then you are outputting DMX.

http://www.pcdisco.c...etlight-img.png

click on the link above to see what the editor looks like.

http://www.softsea.c...SweetLight.html

click on the link above to download it.

From experience, the simple show on magicq will be better suited to what you seem to want than either of the other free programs suggested. And while they can do more complicated stuff should you need it, magicq will beat them at that too. And should you in the future decide to expand, the range of wings for magicq makes it the sensible choice, so you might as well jump straight in with a proper desk, rather than stumbling on with a less easy to use program.

YMMV

M

you can use sweetlight software it is FREE and you can have loads of channels on it!

Does the Sweetlight software support the OP's Soundlight USBDMX2 interface? As far as I can tell from the (almost useless) Sweetlight website, the software only supports their proprietary interfaces. If this is not correct and you know otherwise, please advise, otherwise perhaps you should read the original post before posting....

Thanks everybody.

I tried the MagicQ - software is great but no use with the USBDMX2. I am awaiting receipt of their own adaptor, can't fault it at £12.

I tried the Freestyler - horrible to use!

USBDMX2 going back on fleabay.

As usual some really good pointers.

Thanks

Although you now seem to be sorted, and I would ordinarilly be the first to recommend MagicQ, I do think the 'simple 24 faders' requirement has been overlooked by most here.

There are a range of very simple, free DMX applications that have been developed as part of the OpenDMX programme by various developers, which do exactly what you want - a line of fdaers on screen, you map them to the DMX channels.

Only thing I haven't yet checked is if the interface you have/had supports the OpenDMX framework.

But as magicq offers this in the simple screen, and still retains the playback control allowing for chases etc rather than just static looks, I don't see any benefit of any of the open DMX software...

I will say I've never used them, just looked at them online before realising the benefits of magicq compared to them.

Archived