Flyman using chalk

Easter5053

Not quite sure why they'd want to do that? Even when people flew with hemp, if they wanted extra grip, they'd use gloves because can you imagine the mess chalk would make? It's abrasive and would settle on the lubricants in the pullies, and mixed with sweat would be horrible?

Not quite sure why they'd want to do that? Even when people flew with hemp, if they wanted extra grip, they'd use gloves because can you imagine the mess chalk would make? It's abrasive and would settle on the lubricants in the pullies, and mixed with sweat would be horrible?

gloves dont give a true grip and sweat prevention is why weightlifters use it, but I can see the pulleys argument

If you're flying on a counterweight system you shouldn't need a death grip on the control lines anyway - if you do I suspect there's something amiss with the flying system! In a hemp house, gloves would be the answer (as Paul said) - chalk would be disastrously messy!

Ha, I have actually watched a DJ misinterpret a pile of plaster dust left from some last second wiring changes..... The look on the muppets as it vanished up his snout was priceless!

Regards, Dan.

gloves dont give a true grip and sweat prevention is why weightlifters use it, but I can see the pulleys argument

beg to differ. Weightlifters need purchase on a smooth tube, we have plenty of grip with a proper glove - and they do provide sufficient tactile feedback - and hemp can do severe damage to your hands - so perhaps a risk assessment would suggest protection is required when dealing with rope. However, as most modern flying with manual systems involves softer hauling ropes, I've not really found a need for extra 'stiction'.

gloves dont give a true grip and sweat prevention is why weightlifters use it

Depends on the gloves, but I do sympathise to a degree - I don't like wearing gloves to pull ropes.

But gloves or no gloves, you don't need dry hands to grip a hemp rope. Historically, theatrical rigging was developed from tall ship rigging - sailors aboard such ships have been pulling ropes quite successfully for centuries in an environment where they definitely don't get to stay dry all the time.

I have seen them use chalk to write cues on the fly floor door...

Boring factoid of the day: its completely different stuff.

What weight lifters and rock climbers call 'chalk' isn't really chalk, its magnesium carbonate.

The chalk you write on a blackboard with is actually gypsum (aka plaster of paris).

I have seen white powder in the wings but I don't think......

I used to know a chap who was a climber. Got pulled over by the police one day, and they decided to confiscate his chalk bag and send it off for analysis.

I have seen white powder in the wings but I don't think......

I used to know a chap who was a climber. Got pulled over by the police one day, and they decided to confiscate his chalk bag and send it off for analysis.

Brilliant, In that case I could make a fortune, given the 1/2 lb bag of the stuff (chalk, I hasten to add!) I have sat next to me!

Archived