monitors

toby

Hi guys, I currently work at butlins bognor in the main venue, we currently use martin le 400s, run passively, admittedly they are underpowered, but quality and angles from them are just right for us, were in the process of demoing stuff, last weekend I had the ev TX1152FM out, quality of them was great, price was very good but angle wise with what we need them for on our stage (bands/cast/groups) were just not quite there, lost allot of top end stood more then 3 foot away. Also demoed the new turbosound 560 models, compared to the 450's didn't impress much and turns out to be a bit out of our price range, this weekend had the ev phoenix 15'', which were ok, but angle wise wrong and just a bit small, we also had the ohm hdfm which are fitted the bill angle wise, and power, but for the size and what they are just didnt impress that much, also had the ohm trs 115s, angle wise good and power good, surpringly best of the bunch, however and though only a small thing we do need to take into consideration the nl4 connections are on the rear which I think if any band member/singer were to do the ''rock n roll pose'' of foot on monitors pushing it onto the connections is just asking for trouble,

One of our other venues will be having the martins as is in dire need, so the option of new amps and re coning the lot is not ideal, we are looking to buy 8 + amps, heres the catch budget of 11k, obviously bi amped would be lovely but realistically not sure if possible, were running out of ideas of what to demo so just after any recommendation, unfortunately will only buy new, any help appreciated

cheers toby

apologies, the LE400s will be going with there current amps to the other venue, they do the job and will be fine for downstairs, am after some new monitors/amps recommendations

how about martin le1200,or the 1500 if you really think you need a 15",used the 1200's on a wide range of music,from folk to balls 2 the wall rock,connections are hidden so no fear of artist feet knocking them,they can be used passive or active simply by flicking a switch,and there rather compact.

cheers for the reply guys, going to see if I can demo some of the LE1200's, go on holiday tomorrow so will send an email to the boss man,

cheers for the recommendations

Toby

Okay, a long shot but what about some Nexo PS15s? Maybe even some ex-hire hire boxes? Pre-R2 models would still suit the bill plus they have readily available drivers etc from most hire companies in case of a blown driver etc.

Also, +1 for LE1200s.

I know Skegness have the Martin LE1200 and I'm sure Minehead do as well. They are cracking monitors and are more than enough for any artist you will have at Butlins. They have slowly been replacing all the PA systems with Martin Line Arrays as well, at least they were doing, to keep everything the same.

Im not surprised they want to demo other kit as they seem to do that with everything...even when they have tried and tested items at other resorts

The turbo 560 wedges are one of the best rock n roll wedges ive ever heard -I did monitors last summer at 3 huge events had 16 of them on stage, along with the Linea reserch amplifiers that go with them, and boy they are loud! have to run them properly, and know how to use them -

the le range are cracking wedges also, and there are lots of alternatives out there -

it would make sense to go the LE route so you can cross hire from other sites, or locally

D

just found the turbos a bit harsh, definitely loud no denying that, maybe I didn't gt the eq right, tbh though even though we have the same shows, not everything works in one resort as it does in the other, all have different side and front fills, height etc so more just wanting to get it right.

cheers

toby

Archived