Stage Lighting Teaching Handouts

Hi all

I am researching an idea to put together some stage lighting specific teaching aids for secondary school Drama level. Handouts, infographics etc. so that I can give them to our feeder schools and also freely distribute them to any teachers that find them useful. I'm looking from various angles but wanted to get the ideas from teachers at such a level here on the BR.

Obviously, teaching members here are knowledgable and would likely have their own materials that fit the job perfectly - what I am looking at is less experienced generalist drama teachers that need something to help them at this level. Maybe simple diagrams for either lighting design or systems?

So, my question is: What kind of stage lighting teaching materials do you think would add value for teachers and students?

I try to keep out of the GCSE drama delivery in schools because in my humble view, the actual level of ability and knowledge expected for full marks is in fact, rather basic - compared to that required for Level 3 and upwards. In fact, I actually agree that reading one of Francis Reid's books is probably enough to do rather well in terms of underpinning knowledge. It's very rare to find technically competent teachers in schools for this kind of option, because if they went to uni and studied acting or performing arts, and then did a PGCE, then technical elements were hardly covered even to the depth of a GCSE, as many students seem to discover. It's rather like expecting geography graduates to also be knowledgeable about geology.

The idea of handouts really just means taking a few selections from Francis' books, and then re-drawing them to cope not only with what is needed by the exam board, but also by what equipment is provided in the centre. All his great stuff about area lighting, fresnels and profiles makes little sense if the school has a pile of LEDs, or even if for some reason they have piles of expensive moving lights! It's all down to the teacher. If they don't have the ability to produce their own handouts, then the student is probably best to learn from books they can keep, and the net. I get asked quite often to write assignments for school teachers who don't know how to do it - so the danger with 'technical' handouts is that many are reluctant to use them because they can't answer the kids questions. I've never understood why they don't just learn the stuff and really get to understand it - but sadly, many consider drama to be something that is natural in a bright, windowed classroom - and all this messing about with lights is somehow superfluous, and complication for complications sake.

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/087830147X

^^ Taught me more about lighting than what my teacher knew.

Well, yes, it would. Perhaps there is nothing more to be done than simply handing out a list of key texts. If that's the case, then I'm glad I asked the question before taking it further.

Cheers :-)

If a student is keen on learning about lighting, then that student should be encouraged to read beyond the course; read different textbooks on the subject. But if it's just a very basic instruction; then maybe think about what you would say in a practical lecture on stage lighting, and make the notes from that? i.e. if you're demonstrating how to change a lamp in a fresnel, then maybe take some step-by-step photos and write a guide in a handout, so that they have the reference material?

Thanks for everyone's time to give their thoughts!!!

I have to say that the general consensus, both here and elsewhere, is that the underlying question of a "gap" or need is the killer. People seem to feel that the teachers that can do OK, and the ones that can't are best off leaving it to Reid and others. The need is not there. Perhaps as an idea, it basically doesn't have any legs.

Thinking about content for handouts etc. then raised a question in my mind about what/how we actually teach: Is this not just how WE were taught the subject?

I have no doubt of the importance of the key texts in shaping our lighting culture and then in turn, their influencing the way we teach. I am not suggesting that the standards be thrown out for the sake of it and I use plenty of references to such works in my own teaching. I just wonder if there is anything more to come? Or if this is it for teaching/learning our craft? Rewrites of Reid with shiny pictures or lectures based on something Richard Pilbrow once said - great though it all is.

Overall, I think I need to just stop asking myself questions....

Edit to add// Elvenprince, your suggestion of working back from a practical session and making notes or supporting images is a good way of creating useful handouts. If the need actually was there, that's pretty much what I reckon I'd do.

My experience is that for handouts to have any real impact they need to be tailor made for the equipment and space at that particular establishment.

Generic ones had little effect at work, but mine written around the equipment, spaces and working methods of the school have been a real help.

Hi Rob

Possibly not of relevance as you are aiming at teacher per se but I've done several sessions for community users with their own spaces - village halls etc

I did it in conjunction with a local school and got the students to perform a short piece - often one of the Brecht one act plays so the attendees had something to work with. Usually this tied in with the GCSE's so the students were also benefitting from some rehearsal and performance.

The morning session was nuts and bolts stuff - lanterns/control/systems Then they saw a run through of the piece and had the afternoon to design/rig and plot before doing a 'performance' followed by a wash upon the whole day

HTH, say hallo to Mike for me

David

• 2 weeks later...

I would have thought that any student wanting to know about stage lighting, say, would have been combing the libraries or www. for gen anyway. That is if they have an interest. Do we not advise any nippers to join amdram or try their local theatre?

I recall being in the 6th form and one of my mates was into Ham Radio...he knew far more about simple circuits than our Physics master; knew a fair bit about designing circuits onto circuit boards and etching same...and it was all self taught.

Bottom line is if the student is really interested then (s)he will have started their own research. No reason why you could not set them a task to search the internet then collate the bare bones as class notes. After all almost before they can walk most nippers seem to get the hang of searching youTube, Facebook for info...probably excellent training (if they but realised it, ** laughs out loud **) for searching data bases anyway...and certainly quite a few learn about plagiarism that way as well.

You might glance here:

http://www.livesystems.co.uk/lighting-basics.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stage_lighting

http://library.thinkquest.org/21722/LIGHTING.html

HTH

Archived