switches suitable for amplified signals

mervaka

hi all,

I currently run an Ohm TRS system, comprising of 1x TRS212 and 1x TRS218 a side. I'm proposing to occasionally supplement the amp rack from a two way to a three way system. currently, each side is individually powered by its own amp, with left running subs, right running tops, fed via 4 core cable. I'm looking to occasionally change this to run MF and HF in the same manner, with LF powered from a third, separately racked amp, with separate twin core cable to the subs.

because I want this to be an occasional thing, I need to find a DPDT (or even 4PDT) switch that's happy to carry up to around 700W so that I can bypass the passive crossover inside the tops. ideally this would need to be a slider or something that's not prone to being knocked like a toggle switch, but I have a feeling their current carrying capability may not be the same. are there any switch types I should look for that can satisfy the above, or any other issues that need to be raised?

many thanks in advance!

There are DPDT toggle and rocker switches rated at 16 amps - which should be a high enough current capability - but either type will probably have an 'easy life' - as they will never actually be switched in the presence of signal (I would hope!).

Toggle switches are easy to mount, (single 12.7mm hole) and are, to an extent, 'self indicating' - up/passive and down/active for example. Some types can be fitted with a guard to prevent accidental operation.

Rocker switches are also available with DPDT operation, but you will have to cut a rectangular hole 22.3mm x 28.2mm to fit them.

Look at the Farnell Web site:

Farnell

Search for:

150-555 DPDT rocker switch

767-4309 DPDT toggle switch

767-4341 Guard for toggle switch (this could also be fitted to most mixing desks - for 'self destruct' or 'missile launch' purposes!)

Both switches have 6.3mm tags for slide on terminals, or may be soldered if preferred.

If you're feeling rich, Farnell also stock these, which will handle 15A and have locking toggles. Unfortunately they are an American import so carry a supplement of £15 import charge.

because I want this to be an occasional thing, I need to find a DPDT (or even 4PDT) switch that's happy to carry up to around 700W so that I can bypass the passive crossover inside the tops. ideally this would need to be a slider or something that's not prone to being knocked like a toggle switch, but I have a feeling their current carrying capability may not be the same. are there any switch types I should look for that can satisfy the above, or any other issues that need to be raised

How about a multideck rotary switch? A rotary switch is hard to switch accidentally, and you can have as many poles as you want.

These aren't the only options, but it shows a bit of what is available.

Mac

ok cool, thanks. I should have mentioned earlier that the switch also needs to fit inside the recess of the EP5 connector panel, due to the way they are transported, so I guess rocker switches are an attractive option here. another concern I have with switches in general, is that given a spring is switch loaded, will the close proximity of the sub cause the contacts to jump, and cause arcing/loss of signal?

I've got toggle switches in some of mine to switch between bi-amp and crossover, and they've never caused any problems whatsoever. The internal springs on the higher capacity ones are pretty strong - accidental switching isn't going to happen, so the chances of any contact bounce are, I reckon, non-existent. There's probably more chance of the speakon wiper contacts in the connectors bouncing than the switch!

Archived