Side Lighting

martinkings

I would like some scaffolding for side-lighting and saw the Tank Trap - Doughty T54250 as the base, but can anyone recommend a cheaper option. I guess I could by a regular base-plate and put weights on it. I don't want to screw it into the floor though.

A regular base plate with stage weights should be fine for most things - maybe not if you're putting a 2k zoomspot on the top of the boom, but it will be fine for most other things! It's pretty much all I've ever used for sidelight booms.

A local hire company got a local company of fabricators to make up 6 for them and the cost was less than Doughty, the quality just as good. Don't know if you know any or can use the phone book to help. If all else fails call Keith and he'll put you in touch with the company they used who'll make some for you. PM me for Keith's number.

Fabricators +1

or local college and speak to the engineering tech.

If you do consider getting them made up, I WAS going to get some made in September a 2m1xm 6mm sheet was about 75+VAT in Jan it was about 115+vat.

That sheet will make a doughty size bit easily, add some 52mm 4mm box and some nuts job done.

Cheap as chips option? Kee-Klamp flange base bolted to a 400mm square piece of 18mm ply with 2 strips of 3x1 underneath so that the bolt heads clear. You cannot go too high, but head height should be ok. Stage weight the base and job done. It would free up some cash to buy some Doughty de-rigs and is not a complete infringement of their design.

Archived