WYSIWYG - officially licensed R26

Firewood1

Hi there,

I am having trouble with a fully licensed version of Wyg Perform R26. I do not own the license myself, but the company I am lighting for has just given me their dongle to use for the next 10 days. The actual membership expired in December 2010.

I have logged into the members area fine and downloaded R26 (with most recent update). When Wyg asks for the USB dongle it says the dongle cannot run anything newer than R23. This is not correct as the other person who was previously using it was running R26 successfully on his Mac.

I am using a PC running Windows XP and wonder if any previous update to the dongle perhaps installs on the machine, rather than the dongle itself?

However, the website states that R26 should work so long as membership did not expire before November 2010.

I am also meant to be programming and I'm losing time!

Thankyou in advance.

Cheers

For R24 and beyond, the Dongle Security System was changed, and many of the WYG dongles needed to be replaced to successfully run WYG. If their membership expired in Dec last year, then they should be able to run R26, however if you have an old style dongle, then it will need replacing. To replace the dongle now will cost, as the free dongle replacement offer was only for a limited period during the R23/24 changeover.

I would give Cast or AC a call as suggested by David above.

Cheers

Smiffy

I have not contacted Cast, as they clearly state their tech support is only for active memberships. I am not authorised to reactivate the membership at this time.

I have not contacted AC officially as 1, it is a Saturday, so I would expect their offices are closed. 2, It was not purchased from them, so I did not expect that in an official capacity their tech support would be valid. However, I have messaged someone who works for them in the hope he may be able to offer a little unofficial advice. I hope he's feeling kind.

Of course, once Monday arrives and the world of the employed wakes up again then I can make more calls. Until then, as I need this up and running yesterday, I thought this forum might be a good place to ask for some help.

David, I hope this is ok with you.

Smiffy, thanks for your response. My confusion comes from the fact that this dongle was running R26 last week on another machine, yet on mine it says it needs updating/replacing...I'm not sure why.

David, I hope this is ok with you.
It really doesn't matter to me in the slightest, but you'd be suprised how many people post on the forum without a second thought as to the fact that it might in fact be quicker to pick up the phone/ email a proper support channel.

Your post didn't make mention of the fact that you'd already made these moves, so we didn't have any idea.

:)

You suggest that the dongle was running WYG happily at R26 on the guys Mac. It may be that there is a bug with the security system and it's interaction with Parallels or Bootcamp that might mean that WYG worked at R26 on a Mac quite happily but on a dedicated Win machine, then no such luck. If that is the case, then your mate might get lucky and CAST will be keen to know, and perhaps do a free/cheap dongle swap out (well.... you never know your luck so worth a go ;) )

Alternatively, could your buddy have given you the wrong dongle?

Cheers

Smiffy

I had a similar problem when I upgraded to R26. I've got an old style dongle but when I ran the dongle test it passed as OK for the new security. I ended up having to reinstall the sentinel drivers and everything worked fine. Same thing happened on all the computers I upgraded to R26.

Cast aren't exactly great at writing install/uninstall scripts, my guess is they screwed up the code somewhere. Have a look through the wyg folder for the sentinel install program and run it without your dongle connected. That sorted my machines out.

Good luck

Thankyou so much for your constructive advice. I will try this as soon as I get back to the computer and will report back.

Cheers

Colin

UPDATE

This has not solved my problem. The key difference here is that when I test this dongle, it says it needs to be replaced and is unable to run the latest Wyg security. In this case, reinstalling the driver has not helped.

I am starting to think that perhaps there is a loophole in the Wyg security, as this dongle was working only last week with release 26, on a Mac running Windows. On my PC running Windows XP laptop, it doesn't want to know.

I am now trying to find someone with a Mac to test out this theory! I think I'll be calling Cast in the morning too.

I'm not certain, but pretty sure it was not boot camp. Could have been parallels or fusion perhaps.

Again, not absolutely certain, but I think XP. That's nice and vague isn't it!!

Sorry I can't be more accurate.

Nice one Andy, Would be nice to know the final resolution nevertheless. Always good to keep the solution stored away in the memory banks, and handy for any other poor soul that might find the thread in a search.

Cheers

Smiffy

Archived