Crestron - any experience of their products?

Shez

I'm currently speccing an AV control system to simplify operation of projector, sound etc in our main hall. I've been looking at Crestron's QuickMedia system as it seems to tick all the boxes (possibly apart from price but we'll have to see about that!). However, I'm flumoxed by their website as they seem incredibly keen not to tell you the information you need to know about their products... Registering on there gave me a little more information but in order to download the software necessary for programming the equipment, it seems that you need to be an "authorised independent programmer". To become one of those, you need to go on various training courses. To do that, you need a customer number. But they don't say how to get one of those! And yet they advertise the software as being so easy to use that any beginner can program it...

Any insights very welcome before I have to try to cobble together a less ideal system from other manufacturers who are a bit more cooperative.

Shez - Give the folks at Acoustic Arrangements a ring; I'm pretty sure they are Crestron suppliers (I've used Crestron gear in an installation they have done) and they're nearby. I'm sure they'll be ready to help you out.

The Crestron kit is (very) good, but they restrict who is allowed to install and programme the stuff, so that the quality and prestige of the brand is maintained. The "other" company in the same space, AMX, work in exactly the same manner, but more expensively.

So the right answer is to locate an approved supplier and programmers of Crestron kit, give them the problem, and then pay the bill.

If you want to cobble, a touchscreen PC and StarDraw will enable you to build something very similar and without wishing to be rude, assuming you have competency in the required skills, give a very professional looking and functional outcome.

Becoming a Crestron programmer is a week long course, and they will get you set up with a customer number etc. and is often offered free of charge. I would not want to attempt to program Crestron gear without doing their basic course at least - it is node based programing which can be a bit of a mind-bender if you have no prior knowledge. Really powerful and really customisable though.

For what it's worth, I got an ancient Crestron unit (2 series I think) from eBay along with some other bits, so decided to have a play, found an old copy of the software on the net, a few tutorials and generally poked around. I've since added a touchscreen and one of their button panels too. I might not be doing it the proper way, but it works, and I've got some somewhat over-engineered control of a few things in the house. Admittedly I've got quite a programming background, so its sort of just another language, but as Mac says, it's different to most normal stuff, although kind of similar to wiring up logic circuits. it's also quite similar to VVVV if you've used that before.

I don't know what the norm is, but from a programming perspective, I'd try and get the source they use on your system if you do go ahead, otherwise you're locked into the same installer for even minor changes, because anyone else would need to start from scratch.

...in order to download the software necessary for programming the equipment, it seems that you need to be an "authorised independent programmer". To become one of those, you need to go on various training courses.

The Crestron kit is (very) good, but they restrict who is allowed to install and programme the stuff, so that the quality and prestige of the brand is maintained. The "other" company in the same space, AMX, work in exactly the same manner, but more expensively.

We decided to go with Extron for these very reasons.

You obviously buy all the hardware that is required, but after that, all the software & drivers needed to configure/programme the system is free to download from their website.

This has the benefit of keeping the system entirely under your control, without the need to buy in a programmer to make any subsequent changes.

It's proved to be a very good system (IMHO), and very flexible.

Thanks for the info; to be honest, Crestron's modus operandi is more likely to put me off using their kit than to attract me to it.

This isn't a complex project - no touch-screens or anything. Installation in a big hall with a rear projection system and existing sound system. I was looking at their QuickMedia system simply as a two box solution with input plates and button panel at one end, CAT5 transport and another box at the projector to convert it all back to the appropriate signals for the projector and to switch the audio and mix in a mic feed perhaps with a bit of ducking. The CAT5 is a nicety rather than a necessity as the cable run will only be about 25m. Having said that, without the media conversion I'd need to at least balance the audio before it goes anywhere as it'll likely be running alongside some dimmed mains.

I've looked at AMX button panels too but it's then the audio bit that's trickier as I'd need an RS232 controlled mixer. Allen & Heath's iDR4 looks ideal (and they give you the software without making you jump through hoops!) but it's probably a higher price than I can justify for what it needs to do.

Edit: clarification

I've seen many venues which have some form of touchpanel control installed, where the kit is sitting idle. Many of the companies that install this kit do it as a loss leader, or pretty close to that, and make their money from the programming fees for updating it or service contracts. I'm not surprised than venues give up on it.

If you have a projector with the capability to wire the remote, this would get around the infra-red hassles. If your users can't handle the idea of hitting a "source change" button I'm not sure what hope there is for them...

Comparing Crestron and AMX type offerings against the more drag-and-drop offerings is like comparing apples with oranges.

The more drag-and-drop type offerings are great for the basic system like the OP is after (in fact I would heartily recommend Extron's offerings - there are a number of others similar to it out there) - where your touch panel is a "universal remote" for the room. AMX and Crestron are not really focused on that market.

They are in the automation market, where you click go and the lights dim, the blinds lower, your projector lowers from the ceiling whilst the screen descends, everything lamps on and everything is timed perfectly, so that by the time the lights are at their setting and the blinds are down, everything else has warmed up and is good to go... That there are people out there with Crestron systems that act like a universal remote, I don't doubt, but it is not what these companies are about.

I have a small Crestron testing rig at home which I have connected to my TV, Satelite box, PVR, AC and a couple of other things like a mains contactor connected to my coffee percolator. I have it set to pull down my schedule from a work server every day, and 30 mins before I get home, it turns my AC on. 15 mins before I get home the percolator is on. Why? Because I could.

We have a number of teaching rooms that use a wall-boxed based system made by Procon. Nothing fancy as such, just switches projector on/off, change source, change volume, but it does have seperate cables twixt the control box and the projector as opposed to digitizing everything via CAT5. I've no idea how much each setup cost, but it could be along the lines of what the OP's after.

Saying that, we do have Crestron touchscreen setups in our main Auditorium, a couple of large teaching rooms and a lecture theatre, where we need a bit more one-stop control of things, including room lighting. Everytime we've had an issue though we have to call an external company in, which is where that programming training you mentioned comes in. It totally depends on what you're after, how you want to control it and what you envisage it being used for in a few years time though.

Hope that helps a tad but ask away if there's any questions :)

Archived