Crewspace.com

I found this website yesterday, It looks really promising for people looking for more work.

I understand that it is invite only but was wondering if there might be a few people on here that might be members.

I was going to start a topic about this yesterday but someone already has.

Matt

The site is set up by touring crew for touring crew. Some people get work out of it but no more than you do on the Blueroom, Although it was set up by a group of British crew it's mostly populated by Americans. The only way to become a member is to be invited to join and the only people I'm going to invite is people I've worked with as the whole idea is to restrict membership to touring crew. Ask some of the people you've toured with to invite you, no disrespect but the last person I'm going to invite is someone who only just joined this forum today and has no information in their profile as that would defeat the purpose of the invitation only policy.

e2a

Upon re-reading the above I though it could sound a little harsh so thought perhaps I should add that the invitation policy is there to ensure a certain standard / experience level of the membership. This means that you have a better idea of who is giving you advice to questions you ask and also if you do post a job advert that the people who apply already have experience touring plus you have the ability to get a reference from the people that invited them to join the site. Crewspace isn't like the Blueroom, it does have a forum element to it but it's more like an industry specific version of facebook, it's a great way to keep in touch with people you've worked with when you're on different sides of the planet and a handy place to get reliable (ish) answers to industry related questions. What would be the point of joining a networking site if you don't know any of the members?

no disrespect but the last person I'm going to invite is someone who only just joined this forum today and has no information in their profile as that would defeat the purpose of the invitation only policy.

I understand where you're coming from however I have been viewing this forum for a long time now but never really felt the need to actually register. I became intrigued about this website yesterday however was disappointed to see it was invite only.

I'm 22, Graduated last year from leeds met uni with a 2:1 in Music Tech, Have worked for free for a Leeds based company for the past 2 years and have just landed a job working as a technician overseas in Lanzarote. Though I have currently found work, it seems from the outside to be a handy tool for some of the people who are struggling to get work or are trying to get their foot in the door. At the end of the day, we all share the same interests and a I know there are probably quite a few people of here that could do with getting a foot in the door (especially after viewing a few recent posts.)

Matt

Problem is there's already a lot of people with both feet firmly through the door who are finding it difficult to get work at the moment. To be honest Crewspace is more of a place to keep in touch with friends and let each other know what you're up to it's never going to help you get work in an industry that relies on reputation. I don't doubt your qualifications but knowledge isn't even half of it, more than anything else it's about attitude.

How are you going to react when, at the end of a long tiring day, just as your climbing into your bunk for what little sleep your going to get the band return, pissed, and decide to play dub step at full volume and continue the party until after the time you have to start work? For the fourth night in a row? People are picked for jobs as much for their ability to fit in to an existing team as they are for being good at their job.

Unless people know you or you're recommended by someone they know they aren't going to want to put you on a bus for six weeks just to find out you're a pain to live with and that is why it seems like "jobs for the boys".

Declaration; I am not a member though could probably worm my way in to Crewspace but it isn't for me or those wishing to get "a foot in". It isn't "jobs for the boys" either it is, as Grum explained, a place for pro touring guys to hang out in cyberspace.

I have thought about joining because I know a fair few members and have worked with many but I am not a touring guy, I don't "belong". If I went out on the road again, someone asked me if I wanted to join and invited me I would then, and only then, consider becoming a member.

I am not a member either.

Like Kerry I don't think it'd be too hard for me to get on it. But, same, I am not a touring guy.

I am venues and that's that. I've done tours and for the foreseeable have no interest in doing them again.

The fact is a lot of touring work will be offered via the connections made on the site. In this industry it is all done on reputation and who knows who.

That very much to me looks like jobs (touring work) for the boys (people on the site)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Problem is there's already a lot of people with both feet firmly through the door who are finding it difficult to get work at the moment. To be honest Crewspace is more of a place to keep in touch with friends and let each other know what you're up to it's never going to help you get work in an industry that relies on reputation. I don't doubt your qualifications but knowledge isn't even half of it, more than anything else it's about attitude.

How are you going to react when, at the end of a long tiring day, just as your climbing into your bunk for what little sleep your going to get the band return, pissed, and decide to play dub step at full volume and continue the party until after the time you have to start work? For the fourth night in a row? People are picked for jobs as much for their ability to fit in to an existing team as they are for being good at their job.

Unless people know you or you're recommended by someone they know they aren't going to want to put you on a bus for six weeks just to find out you're a pain to live with and that is why it seems like "jobs for the boys".

Hi I'm Jono,

Two of my mates who are currently playing with Courtney Love recommended to me about Crewspace. They said you'd (being me) be perfect for road crew (amongst other things) - I spent 4 years of my life in the Army (3rd Battalion Parachute Regiment) and since leaving the Army have been pursuing my music career (of which whilst building my small home studio having completed a BA HONS degree in music technology - Its actually experience that I value more than a piece of paper). I am currently looking for any work and think the idea of Crewspace is brilliant. Gonna speak to my mates and see who they are friends with when on the road as I think being a member would be invaluable for me. How would I react if I climbed into my bunk and a band turned dubstep up? I'd say "Turn it up" and go to bed.

As they say in the Paras... "Utrinque Paratus" - Ready for Anything.

Jono_not_Bono

P.s Nice to meet you by the way!

Archived