Cheap Vocal Compressor-Limiter?

KevinE

Can anyone recommend a budget vocal performance compressor-limiter for a solo rock artist with a 3K PA system? He has a tendency to shout certain rock songs and whisper ballads, he's constantly peaking his MIC input channel and clipping his amp rack. Cost is of the essence here.

Just my own humble opinion, but I hate the compression produced by the behringer. I now use one of these.......compressor.......... which I think produces a nicer compressed sound. Admittedly it doesn't have the de-esser, but other than that, its better than the behringer.

John

Some of the Behringer compressors aren't bad - I have a couple in the rack and they sound pretty good and are quite versatile - and Tori Amos has 16 in her house racks (link)

I personally favour a TC Electronic Triple-C on a 'money' vocal channel - they're fairly cheap on ebay now and can also be used in a variety of live and studio roles.

I've used both the Behringer and the Alesis 3630 and I have to say I thought the Alesis was more controllable and had a more subtle sound.

However the Behringer model I have used (I can't remember exactly which one but it was one of the cheap ones) did have a peak limiter which is useful for catching anything the compressor misses.

or maybe you could spend the small amount of money .... educating him how to use a mic correctly- I'm sure someone must run a basic course somewhere?

There comes a time when technology can only help performers so far.

ho ho ho

#sigh - still waiting for the 'sharpen 3rdbacking singer from the right' 4U rackunit.#

mike

:(

Thanks guys, I did look at my Behringer catalogue but didn't want to order without getting advice from the field! The Alesis also comes recommended as mentioned! I currently use a Urei 1170LN but my customer couldn't afford one of those.

Archived