Kramer VP-719xl

Yorkie

I'm looking at consolidating AV control in a church that has a VP-719xl used to switch between DVD, Laptop and blank.

I have never used one of these units before but wondered if someone who has could help. If I were to wire the audio from the video sources through the VP-719xl, does audio continue if I press the 'blank' or 'freeze' button, or does it mute? I think it would be helpful in this situation if it did mute, but since the manual doesn't mention it, I suspect they'd have to press the separate mute button simultaneously.

Alternatively, would the screen go black if I switched it to another input, or would the input name be displayed on-screen?

The manual is mightily unhelpful as it's written for three different models, and the 719 seems to have a lot less features than the 724.

Not used the 719 but we have the 724 and I assume that the 719 will do the same things as the 724 in these situations.

Yes it mutes the audio if the screen is blanked or frozen and there is no annoying osd if you are on the wrong/unused input (not sure if it was a setting in the menu or if that is just the way that it is).

Hope that that helps.

Jem

From memory it does default to showing the OSD when changing sources, but it is an easy option to turn off.

[e2a: have just dug out a manual, and the OSD source prompt is covered under section 8.5.6 in case you're looking for it]

And the 719, 720, and 724 are all the same just with more (or less) inputs etc, and so the manual should read the same for all 3, except for the front and back panel drawings which I seem to remember explain in the key which bits are missing.

HTH

As far as I remember The audio continues through both blank and freeze and you need to mute the audio with the mute button. selecting an inactive input mutes and blanks, but it will take a second to unmute whereas unblank unmute is instant. To avoid the inputs flashing up onscreen, go menu> osd> scource display? or something similar and you can turn it off. its also woth pointing out that by default the no input colour and possibly blank colour is blue and you need to go to the advanced benu to change these to black and that you can also set it up that pressing an input twice blanks / mutes / freezes , by default, selecting an input unmutes/ blanks freezes so its worth looking at these settings to get theunit to respond as you want.

Our 5 year old kramer 719 has been an absolute workhorse and if you need simple switching between a laptop and some video, you really wont go wrong.

Archived