FAT FROG and LED Multipar Zooms

ledsu

Hi

I am currently looking at using a Fat Frog and installing Led Multipar Zooms. Anyone know if you would place these in the moving light section of the desk.?

Aswell as RGB they have a zoom function. 10 degree to 60 degree.

The desk is currently running standard par and other genericss. It will be using both standard generic lights and leds. What is the best way to control them ?

ledsu

You could define them as fixtures (Zero's Fixture editor is relatively easy to use to set up new fixtures) however, you may fall foul of intensity control if the MultiPar doesn't have a dedicated dimmer channel.

A lot of LED PAR's 'dim' by controlling the RGB channels and don't have a master dim channel. Whilst you can define a 'phantom' dimmer channel for Zero88 fixtures they only work on Frog 2 or ORB (I think - if memory serves - Jon or Keith will leap in here!). It's not a major thing, you just have to think more about fades to black...

I actually did exactly this a while back, it works pretty well (using the fixture section of the desk). The only real downside I found with it was the palettes. They record fine, but there didn't seem to be any way to fade between them when busking live (feel free to correct if I'm wrong) Apart from that no problems at all. If those are the cans I'm thinking of though, keep any effects with the zoom speed fairly quick, or it goes all steppy and looks quite odd.

If this is the unit I'm thinking of DMX channel 4 should provide a master dimmer - I seem to remember it's a 6 channel as follows;

• 1 - RED
  • 2 - GREEN
  • 3 - BLUE
  • 4 - DIMMER
  • 5 - SHUTTER/STROBE (first few percent is open, after that it's strobe)
  • 6 - ZOOM

In which case I'd probably build a fixture profile for them.

Archived