Show designed around the set

Techi Shaun

Hi, can anyone elaborate on this for me please/ or give me an answer please

in the uk or the east Yorkshire area has any stage crew ever designed a set for the show to be designed around it???

by this I am meaning the set is designed and the show is created around it....

My reason for this is at college as far the director knows and from a friend of mine. a show has never actually been done entirely this way

My director seems to think that we should document it or something.

Let me tell you breifly how this happend

We where doing something else originally, my Tutor came to me and my group and said You have to create a set to do with Entrances and Exits for the actors to CREATE a show around your set

this allowed us to use our imagination, to which they told the director and so on

Basically what I am saying is.. Has it ever been documented before???

Can anyone help me here please??

Thanks

Techi Shaun

Of course it has! There are many productions that have been written to take advantage of some special features already present. However, if what you mean is that you have built a set without a production in mind at all, just for an exercise in set-building, then you'd have to produce the show around it, wouldn't you? It doesn't normally happen this way because nobody would design a set without a brief, so it doesn't normally happen for purely practical reasons.

What on earth does the teacher mean by "he thinks you should document it?".

Sets support performance, it's not really normal to do it the other way around, unless the set has some significance of it's own. I saw one once that was actually design experiment, that worked - so before they destroyed it, they used it for a music event. No reason why somebody couldn't write a script around it, but the question would be why?

Are you sure the teacher isn't gently pulling your leg?

A lot of site specific shows (Shunt are a good example) start building the set before the show is fully formed in their minds, they then rehearse the show in the space for months and adapt the set as they go, so both work side by side

the tutor just said design a set for entrances and exits and that is all and the show hasnt been created yet or even thought of

Once the designs are in place for the show the performers will devise a peice around it

so instead of the set being created with a script with the scenes

its the show is being created by the set

"No reason why somebody couldn't write a script around it, but the question would be why?" simple the other idea fell through so they decided to do this one

"However, if what you mean is that you have built a set without a production in mind at all, just for an exercise in set-building, then you'd have to produce the show around it, wouldn't you?" we havent build the set yet we are still in the design process

"he thinks you should document it?". well he seems to think that if it hasn't been done or PUBLISHED we should publish it our self's and claim it as ours I think!!

"Are you sure the teacher isn't gently pulling your leg?" Definitely not.... this is for the riverside theater at hull college

A lot of site specific shows (Shunt are a good example) start building the set before the show is fully formed in their minds, they then rehearse the show in the space for months and adapt the set as they go, so both work side by side

okay, but the show hasnt even been thought of yet.. it is just the set... that actors dont know a thing..... all they know is that they have this set to CREATE a show from nothing into a great show peice

My main questions is HAS IT BEEN DOCUMENTED BEFORE???

Sounds a bit like a homework question :rolleyes:

** laughs out loud ** it isnt a home work question I was just asked to find it out.... :D ...... and I couldent find much on it and I was advised by a friend of mine who taught me most of what I know.. that this would be a good place to find out :o :P ^_^

Amongst many others Moving Being have made a number of TV programmes and films around their site-specific projects. It is not unusual to use a whole town as the scenario for a community play script. We decided to do a specific Shakespeare for a specific set which was a castle. That also was on the haunted fishtank. So yes, it has been done before, documented, recorded, filmed, discussed and is nothing new.

Is your teacher a younger person? If not then they need to get out more, if only to talk to Hull Truck.

Amongst many others Moving Being have made a number of TV programmes and films around their site-specific projects. It is not unusual to use a whole town as the scenario for a community play script. We decided to do a specific Shakespeare for a specific set which was a castle. That also was on the haunted fishtank. So yes, it has been done before, documented, recorded, filmed, discussed and is nothing new.

Is your teacher a younger person? If not then they need to get out more, if only to talk to Hull Truck.

ive tried to contatact hull truck for some experience and ive no reply from matt

but thankyou

We run our Summer Youth Theatre in a similar way to that which you have described. The piece is basically devised by those taking part.

The professional Director, MD,Designer and Lighting Designer will come up with ideas as to what the starting point for the show will be and then the set and costumes are designed and construction started. Though some things may evolve during rehearsals, the participants have to create a show which will work within the design decisions already taken.

ive tried to contatact hull truck for some experience and ive no reply from matt

but thankyou

If by Matt you mean the Chief Technician there, then I sugest there are two reason why you may not have had a reply - (1) he is incredibly busy, he usually is, and you weren't a priority from his point of view; (2) if you wrote in the same style you've used here (with limited punctuation etc.), your communication got "filed".

As to the question of the post, other than site specific work, it is rare for the set design to be fixed before rehearsals start - as with all areas of the design of the piece the set often needs to adapt as the team (I.e the director, the designers and the cast) work out the piece. This is still true for most scripted plays, never mind more so for devised work. However, site-specific work seems to be "the" craze in theatre at the moment!

it is rare for the set design to be fixed before rehearsals start

I think this depends on what you mean by the design being 'fixed'. I would agree that it is rare for there not to be slight changes during rehearsals but it is not unusual for the set and costumes to be already under construction before the rehearsals start.

It is very very rare for the set to be designed from scratch through the rehearsal process.

it is rare for the set design to be fixed before rehearsals start

I think this depends on what you mean by the design being 'fixed'. I would agree that it is rare for there not to be slight changes during rehearsals but it is not unusual for the set and costumes to be already under construction before the rehearsals start.

It is very very rare for the set to be designed from scratch through the rehearsal process.

Indeed. Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I hoped!

If by Matt you mean the Chief Technician there, then I suggest there are two reason why you may not have had a reply - (1) he is incredibly busy, he usually is, and you weren't a priority from his point of view; (2) if you wrote in the same style you've used here (with limited punctuation etc.), your communication got "filed".

As to the question of the post, other than site specific work, it is rare for the set design to be fixed before rehearsals start - as with all areas of the design of the piece the set often needs to adapt as the team (I.e the director, the designers and the cast) work out the piece. This is still true for most scripted plays, never mind more so for devised work. However, site-specific work seems to be "the" craze in theatre at the moment!

As Regards to Matt yes I did mean the chief technician there, I wrote it properly will punctuation, and I just mailed him when he said to

To be honest I think that he is extremely busy, as this time of year does become really busy

What do you mean by "Filed"??

Do you know Matt from Hull truck??

I agree that is what I thought but I wanted to make sure, basically we are still in the design process and I am still finishing off my final model for the director,

last week I had a meeting with the director to discuss what design we had come up with, this was so that the actors can then begin to create the show with the set already being built.

Do you understand where I am coming from, have I explained this correctly??

Archived