AluPAR

gnomatron

hi all,

Has anyone used the osram AluPARs? How do they compare with normal PAR64s? they seem to be pretty close on price and they certainly weigh a lot less, but I'm wondering how they compare in light output, life, beamshape etc.

When we compared them next to each other, we found the beam shape to be different and the alupar seemed yellower. The alupar had a rounder beam shape. We were comparing cp62's.

As a reseller / supplier we were being told they are supposed to be the same. In our hire stock we will not use them as do not want to get a mix. They are a little but cheaper but my advice would be to only use them if you are not too worried about consistent colour temperature and beam shape.

We only stock them as a cheaper alternative, though I have not yet got them onto our webshop.

I'll be interested to hear other people views. Were we unlucky with the lamp we tried? As for lamp life, sorry, no idea.

andrew

when you say they're inconsistent beamshape and colour wise, is that JUST compared to normal CP62s or is it compared to each other? I'm trying to think of ways to decrease the weight on an overly heavily laden truss and swapping 24 normal pars for 24 alupars would go quite a long way to doing that.

when you say they're inconsistent beamshape and colour wise, is that JUST compared to normal CP62s or is it compared to each other? I'm trying to think of ways to decrease the weight on an overly heavily laden truss and swapping 24 normal pars for 24 alupars would go quite a long way to doing that.

It was when compared to a 'normal' cp62. They sound like a perfect answer for you!

Get in touch (pm/email/call) if you want a quote to buy them. I'll get round to putting them on our webshop at somepoint...

I have been using these for a while and the beam shape is different because the halogen capsule inside is vertically arranged instead of horizontally aranged so the filament is placed into the reflector similar to a Leko. At least this is what I have in my VNSPs here in Canada. The colour temp looks the same at least on 120V

We tried a couple of AluPAR 'CP62's in the same rig as 'normal' CP62s to try them out and they did have a slightly tighter beam (they were rounder than a standard CP62 off the top of my head) and also had a lower colour temperature. If your rig was purely AluPARs you may not notice the difference too much, but it was quite notable among the other standard PAR Cans in our rig.

Archived