CO2 volume calculation

Roderick

Could someone explain to me how I can calculate the expansion of CO2 from liquid to vapour?

What I am looking for is a simple equation ie. 1kg liquid CO2 = X litres or m3 of gas.

I am having an argument with a venue who won't allow the use of CO2 because they fear that everyone may suffocate if CO2 is released inside.

Sad but true.

pV=nRT where p is the pressure in pascals, V is the volume in m^3, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant (8.3145 J /K /mol) and T is the temperature in kelvin.

More complicated in that CO2 is denser than air, but it stands.

Basically comes out as the volume of CO2 in m^3 is around 0.564 multiplied by the mass of CO2 in kg. Calculated for pressure of 1 bar and temperature of 298K

Thanks Tim, that was exactly what I needed.

And thank you Kerrie, but that is exactly the sort of calculator that confuses the bejezus out of me :unsure:

Because, as you would expect, all the information I have is metric and in different units; bar vs pa, Celsius vs kelvin, etc.

Off to pick a fight!

1 Litre liquid = 1 kilo weight = 0.5 cubic metres gas = just under 0.23 cubic feets of solids. (Roughly!)

Normally I wave things like the chart and say; "Can't you see, it's simple". Muttering and shaking of head seems to satisfy them well enough. Good luck with them, mate.

Archived