Back to school - Where???

Hello knowledgeable world

When in trouble, seek help on this website.. Thank you guys for all the fantastic help so far :)

My new problem doesnt involve DMX, or gremlins( you know the ones!) I work for a company and do lighting and some audio full time. have been doing this full time for 2 years and part time for 2( have never studied anything related to this, ever). I would love to come work in the UK and have found that the only way to go about doing that is by going back to uni, which is perfectly fine because Id love to learn more and theres always more to learn. There are some parts of lighting that I know nothing about so I look forward to it. That being said, I have been looking online for something suitable and havent had much luck.. RADA looks pretty good but im convinced that there must be more out there. Preferably a post graduate diploma or a one year masters or something like that. Nothing too long.

Do any of you wonderful guys out there know of these secret universities/institutions that google doesnt want to reveal? something thats not basic because ive done this for a while now.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers and hope your day has been better than mine.

Zendy :)

Although only a Secondary School student myself, I have been doing a lot of research into Uni options. The UCAS Postgrad Site shows 30 Courses relating to Lighting & Technical Theatre, however that was only a very quick search. I'm sure a more detailed search would show more courses, and possibly better ones.

Hope This Helps,

Charlie

Hi, Candice, are you in South Africa? Can't see from your profile but that's where Gearhouse is big.

Students coming to the UK are facing a bit of a problem right at the moment, our beloved leaders have decided that there shall be a new system for student entry. This may explain why the Border Agency student visa info is off the air!

Start with; http://www.vfs-uk-za.com/applying.aspx to see what options you have.

Sponsorship by an employer associated with Gearhouse might be an alternative option. Talk to Freddie at SARA as he is like a YoYo and knows lots of people over here, lovely man. http://www.saroadies.co.za/

As per usual I can't actually see the attraction of the UK right now, miserably damp and cold, but I do admire the wish to improve your skills base. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Hey charlie and Kerry. Thanks so much for theinfo.

I didnt know about the UCAS website so I have had a good look :) thank you. A lot of them are very basic andstart from scratch though.. will be mailing them to see if I can get a couple of years off with the whole recognition of prior learning thing.

Kerry ... Thank you for those links.. I did wonder about the website but didnt think much of it at the time. have read into it a lot more since. I am of Indian origin and work for Gearhouse in Dubai and not SA. UK seems amazing.. grass is always greener on the other side though hehe. Looks like you have so much going on with the whole festival scene which is non existant here. And the fact that you have so much opportunity to learn amazes me...

Hope you guys have a brilliant day and cheers for the info.

:)

Archived