Airfader - LS9

MarkBarl

Failing to see the need given that it's just mirroring the function of Studio manager.

Seems kinda pointless to me.

Alan

I have no experience with Airfader, but I do with StageMix, and the fact that StageMix is an app designed for a touch screen interface makes it much easier to use than a wireless remote version of Studio Manager. You can do a hell of a lot more with Studio Manager, but for the functions you need most often, StageMix is much easier to use.

I have not tried Studio Manager with a capacitive pen on my iPad, which may make it a little easier to use, but as is, StageMix wins the usability battle.

Mac

I have no experience with Airfader, but I do with StageMix, and the fact that StageMix is an app designed for a touch screen interface makes it much easier to use than a wireless remote version of Studio Manager.

(Mac, you're a busy guy, I've seen you around for years at another forum.)

You're right - frustration with Studio Manager led to my first proof-of-concept version of AirFader back in January of last year. Studio Manager's focus is duplicating every aspect of the console and is very good for pre-configuring a console. AirFader tries instead to maximize usability and make it practical to actually walk around with, and StageMix seems to have taken the same approach.

Different tools for different uses.

I have no experience with Airfader, but I do with StageMix, and the fact that StageMix is an app designed for a touch screen interface makes it much easier to use than a wireless remote version of Studio Manager.

(Mac, you're a busy guy, I've seen you around for years at another forum.)

You'll probably see me for years to come, mostly at another forum. ;)

I'll have to give your app a look. I think limited functionality with easy usability is the way to go. I don't need access to patching from my iPad, but faders and eq are a big deal.

Now that there is a Mac OS network driver for M7 and LS9 is there a possibility we'll see an iPad version?

Mac

agreed..

its more important for me to be able to reach channel faders, what is the "channel display" (eq´s sends, dynamics etc), mix faders and master faders more than anything else..

I must admit though I have in my audiorack a cheapo old wifi router I found, permanently installed with an rj45 tail out the back.. so laptop does all I need...

used it just 2 weeks ago to do the final levels of the valencia fashion week.. hear the rehearsals of the awards ceremony from the audience seating area (where our opp station isnt) etc all via wifi....

Just the simple ability to be able to stand at the model's exit, with the floor manager and set her monitor levels to where she liked without running up and down (the 28mtr catwalk) and using random hand gestures was just brilliant, or walking to the ob truck to check his levels wern't saturated or too low etc with the laptop in hand.. or the feed to the speakers in the bar etc etc... the list was endless and it, without a shadow of a doubt made my job far easier, quicker and left me with more confidence/peace of mind, of the signals I was sending to various locations I couldnt hear from the desk.

definitely the way forward!

PERSONALLY the only thing I find missing in the studiomanager (or any remote software for ls9) is the ability to manipulate the recorder/playback.. or UDK's, I do my main eqing etc with a true CD player with a selection of well recorded original CD´s.. but it would be nice to quickly flick through some mp3´s I´ve set aside etc.

Although yeah, simplifying things to a small ipod app just would make life great!! HOWEVER, this app needs the 700€ base station. so :(

• 7 months later...

I'm a new user to Airfader.

I just bought a PC notebook/tablet off ebay for just over £200 and the Airfader app for £66 approx.

So I've now got an arguably better app than Stagemix, running on a device that, for me, is more useful than an iPad, and for £100 cheaper than the cheapest iPad.

Last night, did my first out-front mix at a function with a side-stage LS9 desk, and that was an absolute joy.

None of the previous guesswork and running out to check the mix every so often.

A life changing app for me.

Hi

I have been using Airfader in our hire stock for the last 6 months or so. Great piece of software fast to connect to your console, and really easy to use with a tablet pen. I still use studio manager for some desk set up stuff and naming channels etc but Air fader is the way to go for fast and reliable GEQ and channel adjusting. I can even do output gain and delay on the latest version. Well done for a great little piece of software. Not sure of the differences between the IPAD app stage mix and airfader but as we have tablet PCs in stock for other software it makes perfect sense to use these.

Chris

Archived