Making Columns out of carpet tubes

Damian Jay

Hi All

First off, I think I have this in the right part of the forum - if not please feel free to relocate :-)

I put in a search for columns and came back with loads of info for periaktoi which would not be suitable for this one off event. Though I have bookmarked the info for future reference :-) and also a tread on using the corrugated plastic roofing sheets with formers and nails.

I am organising my mothers 60th Birthday in a local community hall which has a lovely but rather plain and boring stage. With the equipment I already have for my own show I can

make this into a wonderful performing space (several of my friends are putting on a mini show for the guests at the party)

While the actual stage will now look suitably special with a purpose built glittery Welsh Dragon backdrop, Lighting, sound Haze etc. the front of the pros looks a little drab.

My idea is to make some columns out of carpet tubes, cover them in tin foil or a marble effect fablon and place these either side of the opening. One 3 metre tall column either side with a smaller pair further back on the stage to mask the

stands holding up the backdrop (alas nowhere to fly anything from :-( )

I was debating which would be more stable 3 tubes held together or 4 tubes held together ? your thoughts please :-) I'm trying to get the look of the columns you often see in churches where there looks to be a few smaller tubes/columns pushed together to make a larger tube/column

My questions are these:-

1 - what would be the best way to hold the tubes together? I was thinking of covering the tubes individually, then placing them together and using gaffa to hold them all in place. One wide band of gaffa at the bottom (which will be hidden with the sand) one fairly wide band about halfway ( which can have marble effect fablon over to disguise the gaffa) and a wide band at the top which will be hidden by another box lid decorated to look like the column top with scrollwork (toilet tubes ** laughs out loud **)

2 - whats the best way to keep them upright? (I was thinking of wrapping gaffa tape round the ends, placling the columns upright into a squareish box and filling it with (damp?) sand. With a suitable hole cut into the lid of the box, and then decorate the box to match the columns .. marble effect fablon.

If anyone has done anything similar, or has any suggestions (polite of course haha) as to how I can achieve this look I would be very grateful for the advice and guidance.

While I appreciate this is not a 'show' it is for a one off event that I want to make a very special day. Plus I'm looking at this idea (albeit in a shorter version) to enhance the touring show I take round at Christmas.

Once again, thank you for all your help and advice :-)

Kind Regards

Damian

We did a very similar thing for the pantomime a couple of years ago. We used three tubes, as that is much more stable than four when they are tied together. To fix them we simply drilled holes through the tubes where they touched at the top and bottom and used cable ties to keep them tight. There was no need for a centre fixing. Your idea of a sand box should work but we stood ours on tank traps, with the scaff socket pushed up the centre of the three tubes, and attached them to the over-stage truss with black cord.

Remember to fireproof the cardboard tubes before you paint them or cover them with anything.

Hi Boatman

Cheers for the advice, I didnt think of using cable ties and drilling through the tubes :-) Gold star to you

I have some Flamebar left over from last years xmas show so will use that :-)

Tank traps are a bit outta my price range, but I was given the idea from the helpful people here on BR to use the garden parasol bases.... so I'm currently on the hunt for approx 10 of those as well ** laughs out loud **

Regards

Damian

Assuming you're going for the cardboard tube because it's readily available and possibly free, it might be worth a couple of phone calls to your locfal gas depot (or contractors) to see if they have any yellow pe piping (picture here for the sake of clarity http://www.jmeagle.com/plastic-pipe/pe-pipe/mdpe-yellow-gas.html ).

It'll be a lot more robust that cardboard, and a lot less likely to cause consternation in venues if you do look to use it for a subsequent tour.

Because you're looking for relatively short lengths, I've managed to get similar as offcuts from contractors in the past, particularly if you can convince them that it's for a good cause!

Good luck!

Hey Richb

What a GREAT idea (makes a mental note to kick himself for not thinking of it)

And yep, you hit the nail firmly on the head about the free (very cheap) bit. At the moment it is just for a one off. Depending on how they look will

determine if I seriously consider adding the idea to my Christmas Tour. (means I will have to learn to re-pack the show in the van again ** laughs out loud **)

On a serious note now, I f I can get some of the gas pipe would I still need to fireproof (treat it with fire retardent) it? If so how? I have only ever used Flamebar* before

*please note that other fire retardent/proofing materials are available ** laughs out loud **

Thank you once again for your help and advice, I will be off to blag some pipe from the roadworks on Monday

Kind Regards

Damian :rolleyes:

Archived