Projection Help

Benj

Hi,

We have show in couple of weeks the director wants to use our installed projector the problem is the blue screen.

I cannot use a trusty piece of card as the projector is slap bang in the middle of the stage 5m metres in the air.

I could use long black spaces between the piece but this would mean that the actors would have to run each scene bang on time.

There is that projector shutter from Wahlberg but that costs upwards of £130 and my boss is uming and arring about the price.

There is a blank button on the romte control but it would mean lying under the curtains and trying to aim in the dark at the sensor. ( Would a mirror work and aim at that from the gantry?)

Any suggestions????? ;)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you get to the projector?

A colour scroller might cost less than a new projector to hire, just build a string with a blackout card in it.

Alternativly a 5v PSU, an old PC CDROM and a switch on long wire,

Put blackwrap in the cd tray. put power to the motor and remote the tray switch to where you want to operate it from..

Hey presto remote controlled shutter.

We have the same problem at our theatre the project its right in the middle of the stage about 6 meters up. We don't really use projectors in the show. we used it once for a cinema scene projecting an old Black and White movie on to the audience (Quite a Good Effect). I'll find out how we manage to give the Projector a Black Out and get back to you

Adam

I am putting together the CD- ROM idea, because it is such a good idea!! but I was talking to one of the other techs and he said that by blocking the output of the bulb I would not allow heat to disperse and so shorton the lamp life/ blow the bulb? This sound feasible over 6 or 7 hours but he said the bulb could blow in 15 minutes! ;)

Any thoughts????

I am putting together the CD- ROM idea, because it is such a good idea!! but I was talking to one of the other techs and he said that by blocking the output of the bulb I would not allow heat to disperse and so shorton the lamp life/ blow the bulb? This sound feasible over 6 or 7 hours but he said the bulb could blow in 15 minutes! ;)

Any thoughts????

Tell him not to be a ..... Oh don't bother, life is too short. What's the difference between the light hitting a CD tray 5" from the lens and it hitting a screen 15' away?

Any thoughts????

He's probably just p*ssed off because you thought of the idea and he didn't! ;)

As long as the CD-ROM tray with its shuttery-type attachment is a few inches away from the front of the lens, and not almost touching it, and the cooling fans are all working fine on your projector, then I really can't see there being a problem. If you use something like blackwrap to attach to the tray as a shutter, it'll absorb more heat than it reflects back at the projector, anyway.

and if you know a bit about cdroms you should be able to locate the microswitches inside that detect its end of travel, allowing you to press a button to go out, and another to go in - all automatically stopping ;)

also you could buy a wireless infrared repeater unit and put it pointing at the projector and use the other end in the control box?

The remote idea would work but even on black the projector still outputs some light which will be visable in a blackout... we are using the cd-rom idea on panto at the moment because when the vision mixer is on black and a gauze/cloth is dropped in on the stage the projector still shines on the cloth and makes a small square of dark grey light on it!

The best bet is something between the lens and the screen!

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

It works well sort of its been working all the way throught the tech now the shows is running it wants to play silly beggers!!!

I think it is the actual blackwrap that is causing the CD tray not to open once it has closed. I have tried replacing it it works for a bit then nothing any suggestions???? :)

What about a nice little project for you or your assistant electrician?

Dimmer shutter as used in some of the cheaper moving lights, DMX card and control this from your lighting desk?

Or, Stepper motor with "flag" and DMX card - same control from the desk :)

It works well sort of its been working all the way throught the tech now the shows is running it wants to play silly beggers!!!

I think it is the actual blackwrap that is causing the CD tray not to open once it has closed. I have tried replacing it it works for a bit then nothing any suggestions???? ;)

You could get a piece of CD-sized perspex (without the hole in the middle), paint it black, and glue it to the tray. Suitable thickness and sized pieces can be easily made by using an old plastic CD-case.

Just make sure the glue you use does not melt during long blackouts.

I think it is the actual blackwrap that is causing the CD tray not to open once it has closed. I have tried replacing it it works for a bit then nothing any suggestions???? ;)

You could get a piece of CD-sized perspex (without the hole in the middle), paint it black, and glue it to the tray. Suitable thickness and sized pieces can be easily made by using an old plastic CD-case.

Just make sure the glue you use does not melt during long blackouts.

Or better yet, an old CD?

Archived