Avolites Showsafe Unit

JDLX

Has anybody used the Avo Showsafe units?

We are looking at getting some to go with some new Pearl Expert Desks at our venue and I could do with knowing a bit more about their functionality, as the information on the Avo website is fairly limited.

Basically what I was hoping to do with the unit in one of our halls, was to site it in the unused upper control room with our 4 DMX universes permanently patched into it, and then a CAT5 cable thrown out of the window to the operating position, and into the Pearl Expert. I was also hoping to use the unit as a standalone unit to control the lighting rig when the desk isn't in situ, and also connect a wireless access point into it and use the remote web application to switch the rig on from a tech's phone! Also is it possible to still use the 4 DMX outputs on the Pearl itself, as well as the 8 on the showsafe unit?

Can someone that knows about these units tell me if this is possible, or not what the unit is designed to do?

I emailed Avo last week but haven't had any reply as yet.

Cheers,

Joe

I use one regularly.

I certainly see no problem with the stand-alone/WAP and remote application.

But connection to console is done by Usb. This links the Usb hubs and allows the panels to switch which processor they are connected to, keeping them independent of the motherboard. The restriction on Usb length will probably be an issue. However, you can use all 12 physical DMX ports when joined.

Surely the USB connection is only required if you wanted to use the unit to power the panels on the Expert in case of failure? I would of thought that you could still run the 2 in sync down a Cat5?

Archived