Smaller Moving Lights

HolyPhish

Having read all your arguments/discussions/replies, I'm gonna talk my boss into going down the hire route.

However... please keep posting products at the smaller end of the market.

As much as I loved working with Mac600's, Robe 575's and other large wobbly-heads, the smaller stuff is useful and has it's place.

Thanks one and all

D

closest thing PR has to the I Move 250s/ Mac 250En would be either the PR Pilot 250 or the XL 250.

Had 4 pr 250 pilots at my last venues,for the price there nice little units,they can be a bit noisey.especially when strobeing and the defualt gobos are a bit naff but 2 gobo wheels,1 rotating,rotating prism,2 colour wheels and a "zoom" for less than a grand you cant realy complain.

+1 for Robe AT series.

Worked with a few of these fixtures before including 250's and they are incredibly bright. You need to remember with smaller end fixtures such as Acme that you will pay for what you get basically. As others have suggested, I'd go along the hire route of the larger end of ML's - Robe, Martin, Clay Paky etc. as the support/spare parts you will get with them will be worth it in the end. Definitely go down the hire route.

I've often had problems with (hired in, not mine) Robe Colorspot 250ATs - it seems worryingly easy for the gobos or the prism to fall out in transit. On most jobs I have them on, I end up having to put things back in. I don't know if this is a maintenance issue or a design issue however - the design clearly isn't perfect, but equally judging from some of their other equipment, the company in question do not have one of the most pro-active maintenance teams around!! So, as usual, YMMV!!

I know, most people would never think of this these as more than DJ fixtures, but I have several and I think they would be perfect for this application. The Vizi spot LED by american DJ. I was skeptical when I bought them of the LED technology. However, the LED has a beautiful color temp and beam. Stock gobos are apretty good selection of rotating gobos including two dichroic glass gobos. They are much smaller than halogen fixtures with an output comparable to a 250W discharge while the entire fixture only draws 88w. also because of there small size they have very quick and precise movements. Also a cool feature is that they have 3 different prisms (3 facet, 5 facet, and infinite). also LED means no worry about lamps while on the road and since they weigh only 25 lb. you can easily hang them by yourself. I use them at a night club that has a 600 capacity warehouse and 4 of them is enough to put on a spectacular show. also they make no noise when running. I can not recommend these more.

http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?Category=&ItemNumber=1911

they run for $750, but I got mine for $650. also if you want more power look at the vizi spot 5r, it has an output comparable to a 575 with the new philips 5r bulb. the 5r retails for around $1300

Archived