AV Cable some advice needed.

ladyjayne

Moderation:

I've edited this topic a little because early on, one of the cable types had a typo, and a number of us got confused and thought it a new kind of cable. Just a case of finger trouble on the keyboard that didn't get noticed until after the automatic time lock on members editing their posts kicked in.

I've repaired the posts above, and removed a couple relating to the typo (including one of mine when I too missed the post explaining it!).

Hopefully, everyone can see what they added. Please forgive me if this leaves some rather short sentences. Paul Mods

interesting...

Not actually available though yet?

Do you know if this 5Play thing is going to be a real standard so that I could use Kramer Transmitters into extron receivers with a 3rd manufacturers repeaters inline for runs over 100m?

One of my main issues with the various UTP solutions is that they are not standardised in any way at all so you have to get all your boxes from one manufacturer.

Hi Tom,

it appears that the HDMI and Ethernet portions of the product are standardised, however the RS-232 and IR portions are up to each manufacturer to implement in their own way. I believe that there is no standard for IR once they are encoded as electrical signals in any case.

Nick

interesting...

Not actually available though yet?

Do you know if this 5Play thing is going to be a real standard so that I could use Kramer Transmitters into extron receivers with a 3rd manufacturers repeaters inline for runs over 100m?

One of my main issues with the various UTP solutions is that they are not standardised in any way at all so you have to get all your boxes from one manufacturer.

Hi Tom,

it appears that the HDMI and Ethernet portions of the product are standardised, however the RS-232 and IR portions are up to each manufacturer to implement in their own way. I believe that there is no standard for IR once they are encoded as electrical signals in any case.

Nick

The issue that many people who aren't familiar with baluns and Ethernet cabling is skew. If you are planning on using Ethernet cables for video, then you need baluns that can adjust for skew. There are some Cat-5 cables sold as skew free which then do not meet the standards for data transmission.

The Valens claim that 5play is the new standard is evidently not true as they have been making that claim for two years and it is not universally accepted.

The issue that many people who aren't familiar with baluns and Ethernet cabling is skew. If you are planning on using Ethernet cables for video, then you need baluns that can adjust for skew. There are some Cat-5 cables sold as skew free which then do not meet the standards for data transmission.

The Valens claim that 5play is the new standard is evidently not true as they have been making that claim for two years and it is not universally accepted

Nick Mawer says:

We would certainly recommend using Skew Free cable for VGA over CAT 5, however our advice currently is not to use Skew Free for Digital signals over CAT 5

Also AFAIK Valens signed an exclusive deal with one manufacturer for a period of time, this is hardly the way to promote a universal standard, and it explains why it has not yet been universally adopted. Technology is moving so fast that it may be that a new kid on the block, in a year or so's time, will have a better or cheaper solution. I am not privvy to any special information, this is just a guess based on the rapid development of the technology so far.

Im looking into installing a similar system into a local pub aswell, I cant find a cheap matrix switcher, id like to use Component video aswell but not sure yet.

Hey - I used the Shinybow 4x4 AV matrix switcher for an install which worked pretty well although I've just realised you want component, not composite (oops!) - http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/8853433/art/shinybow/uk-version-4x4-av-matrix.html

Its still pretty good though, and quality on composite is more than acceptable, even with converting VGA to composite.

Hope that helps.

Archived