Portrait Projection

sleepytom

also from ISE, Digital Projection had as many units on their sides as the right way up. I asked and they had no problems with the orientation as their lamps work in a different way from the usual suspects The implication was that any of their units worked on their side. So with respect to Sleepy Toms request for a complete list of projectors that run on their sides with the manufacturers blessing, its the new Barco 14k, Digital projection generally and the little Casio laser units. but none of those do the rotation,

I'd be interested in which DPI projectors were portrait mounted as I couldn't find any listed on their website as that being a viable orientation. I did notice that a few of the Barco projectors specifically state this orientation up to the FLM HD20. Christie Digital's projectors cannot be portrait mounted, but they offer as a standard accessory a mirror mount so that if the projector is vertical then it can project an image that is portrait.

I've been searching several of the manufacturers, looking for a large venue projector to mount this way and Barco is the first to explicitly state that they can mount the projector in that manner without some other accessory that I have found. Maybe when I go to the National Association of Broadcasters (in Las Vegas) convention this April, someone will have something new for us to see.

I don't think there will be much news on new units. Barco obviously having just launched the HDX platform, and as far as I'm aware Christie aren't looking to launch a new projection unit at that sort of level for a while. It might just be that one or two manufacturers decide on a U Turn on portrait mode, but I doubt it.

I don't think there will be much news on new units. Barco obviously having just launched the HDX platform, and as far as I'm aware Christie aren't looking to launch a new projection unit at that sort of level for a while. It might just be that one or two manufacturers decide on a U Turn on portrait mode, but I doubt it.

I just spoke to my Christie rep today and, while their website doesn't explicitly state that any of their projectors can be mounted portrait, their Xenon projectors (DS+ and HD series) can be mounted portrait and still be covered by their warranty. The metal halide "M" series must be mounted vertically and use their mirror adapter for portrait set-up.

I also spoke with my Barco rep in regards to the unit I referenced. He did say that portrait mounting does slightly shorten the life of the lamp and can introduce a flicker, but both are covered in a pro-rated warranty for the lamp.

Like I said, I'll be going to NAB in April and can get more information if anyone is interested.

Archived