Portrait Projection

sleepytom

I don't suppose anyone has a list of projectors which can operate on their side for portrait jobs? Recent Barcos seem to mainly support this but the Christies don't make any mention of it in their manuals. I wonder if anyone has a list, or if not if we can start one here.

I'd like ideally to know which ones operate on their side and if they have any options for processing cards to handle the rotation without needing to do it at source.

its a question ive asked everyone most manufacturers and its a no, not because of any projector problem, but because that lamps dont like it on their sides. that doesnt stop people putting panas on the usefully flat side or indeed making up custom cradles for sanyo lcds, I wouldnt be happy if someone hired our kit and used it in this way without telling, but if they came clean we could probably work things out. The manufacturers have been clear that they would no longer support units used in this way, so best not, even if it does work for a fine for a short while.

stangely the new casio laser units are happy on their sides, but not pointing up or down which is the reverse to everything else so if its smallish scale thats a solution....

we have done a fair bit of portrait projection and have custom mirror frames with optical mirrors. you point the unit straight up{or down}, turn it so the side rather than bottom faces the screen, use a mirror at 45 dgrees and you have portrait without invalidating your warranty, relationship with hire co and compromising lamp life. The frames we have use optical mirrors so they dont affect the image in any noticable way and at most you lose 5% of the output. we had a pair of panasonic 5700s run for every day 2 months in this situation and they suffered no ill effects. you do have to input rotated content, but thats easy enough....

I have photos somewhere I could send ...

yeah I've seen the mirror units before. Not really an option in this case though due to complexity of lineup.

I'm after high power machines too. 10k or (preferably) bigger.

DP Lighting 35s can be retro fitted to work on their sides, but afaik nobody has moded any hire stock.

Here are some projectors we've used in portrait without mirrors or cards

The barco hd8 and r10+ can do it, you need another top frame for them.

so do the sanyo xp100 and xp200 and panny 5500 5600 5700 as long as the vents are clear

no xenon projectors will work on their side.

Anyone know of a cheap transparent led screen hire supplier?

Here are some projectors we've used in portrait without mirrors or cards

The barco hd8 and r10+ can do it, you need another top frame for them.

so do the sanyo xp100 and xp200 and panny 5500 5600 5700 as long as the vents are clear

no xenon projectors will work on their side.

Anyone know of a cheap transparent led screen hire supplier?

Have to disagree, both Sanyo And Panasonic will tell you you CANT put any of the modelsabove on their sides. Its due to the design of the lamp and nothing to do with blocked cooling.If you do this, the warranty will be voided, so its up to you. Neither unit has any facility to rotate the footage as implied, so wont work without an external proccesor doing the rotation.

If the question was "as there any projectors with a fairly flat side that I can put on its side" the above units fit the bill, but the manufacturers very specifically say no, and I have asked both about it in detail. Lets face it, if I thought I could have got away without spending all the money on custom mirror rigs, I would have.

With regard to the lineup, the mirrors dont really make it any harder, its just the the H& V lens shifts are inverted.

Ive seen companies using panasonic 10ks on their sides, but they were from their own hire stock and had to be aware of the implications. Its not that no-one does it, but if you ask the manufacturer they will say you shouldnt, and none of the units can do the rotation required onboard.

As Jason5D said, the Barcos will run on their sides, but there's no onboard processing to deal with the rotation, so will meed to be done in the source -which would put the 'safest' option as the CLM R10.

If it's any use Tom I can get in touch with Christie on Monday and ask for you.

A lot of projectors are perfectly happy running on their sides, and we quite frequently do it; the key is to ensure good air flow.

We have a permanent installation in London, for example, with two Sanyos on edge. We consulted Sanyo in advance, who were happy about it, and I see many of their recent installation models now explicitly say that that you can use them in any orientation. We did a recent install in the Middle East with 16 Panasonics, and on those you use the setup menu to tell them which orientation you are using (I believe it adjusts the fan speed).

Can you tell me the model numbers of these panasonics please?

I was hoping this thread would be a bit more than speculation as to the answers!

I know the bigger sanyos cannot be used on their sides. It quite specifically states this in the manual, even our little XP200s specifically tell you not to do it in the manual.

To clarify I'm after large / bright projection here, not information about little office style projectors (though any which explicitly state its ok to use on their side would be worth mentioning for passing interests sake)

I'm really not interested in any "we did it anyway and it was OK" type posts! I'm trying to come up wit a definitive list of options which will work without any danger of causing damage.

Can you tell me the model numbers of these panasonics please?

I was hoping this thread would be a bit more than speculation as to the answers!

I know the bigger sanyos cannot be used on their sides. It quite specifically states this in the manual, even our little XP200s specifically tell you not to do it in the manual.

To clarify I'm after large / bright projection here, not information about little office style projectors (though any which explicitly state its ok to use on their side would be worth mentioning for passing interests sake)

I'm really not interested in any "we did it anyway and it was OK" type posts! I'm trying to come up wit a definitive list of options which will work without any danger of causing damage.

To be specific.

You CANNOT run anything by sanyo or panasonic on their sides with the manufacturers blessing allthough that doesnt stop many doing so. THe 360 degree projection capabilities they both refer to is any orientation lens up down, front and back. They specifically state that you cannot tilt left or right. ie sideways. .

Barco or Christie I havent asked the question of, as we are sanyo / panasonic users, perhalps someone can explicitly ask and post the answer.

The new Casio XJ laser units CAN run on their sides but not up or down, im sure That max 3000 lumens isnt much use in this application, but to my knowledge they are the only units that do it.

I can only report our experience. For an installation in London we needed to mount Sanyo ET30 and XT21 projectors on edge and discussed this in specific detail with the product manager at Sanyo UK before buying. He told us that the projectors were designed to work like this, and they have now been running all day every day for more than two years without any problems. The lamp lives (and both have had several changes) have been well within the manufacturer's stated parameters.

well that clears things up (!) It seems that sanyo reps continually give out information which is different to that in the manuals (which in turn is often different to what the tech engineers / repair people say!)

The XT21 clearly states in its manual that the maximum roll it can handle is +/-10 degrees. So quite what their sales manager means when he says they are "designed to work like this" is anyone's guess.

The only positive info that I've found is that Barco projectors (R12 HD20 etc) can do portrait - it's clearly explained in the manual.

Perhaps my Sanyo man assumed that 360 degrees meant on any axis, although as AHYoung points out this would normally be interpreted as 360 in a single plane. I can't say, other than that in our case history proved him right! (The installation is at the King's Cross visitor centre if anyone's interested...)

I saw a couple of exhibits at PLASA where intelligent lighting manufacturers have created fittings with data projectors bolted to them What I can't recall whether they just offered pitch and yaw, or whether they rolled as well. If so, then clearly they could break the rules for any projector mounted on them. Has anyone used these?

I saw a couple of exhibits at PLASA where intelligent lighting manufacturers have created fittings with data projectors bolted to them What I can't recall whether they just offered pitch and yaw, or whether they rolled as well. If so, then clearly they could break the rules for any projector mounted on them. Has anyone used these?

from memory the High end moving heads DL1 / dl2/ dl3 use sanyo xp 57? and xp100 ? units as the actual projector part, however its a moving light yoke that achieves 360 degrees by panning and tilting ie only moving in 2 axis, the projector never yaws and the image stays landscape throughout.

[I asked the question of christie, was told nope cant run the units on their sides / portrait.

so effectively if you want a unit that the manufacturer says will run portrait your stuck with a Barco or a factory modified DP... toms basically answered his own question.

Lots of units are rated to hang vertically downwards, so if you need portrait projection and don't want to break the manufacturer's stipulations you can use a simple, small front silvered mirror at 45 degrees to squirt sideways in portrait format.

Whoops - just realised AHY said this at the outset. Sorry. But I do wonder if the reason the manufacturers don't want people using them on edge is because they worry that some idiot will stand the projector on a table on its ventilation grille.

Archived