Patents

Bryson

Hello all,

Just got L&SI (I know I'm behind the times, but mine comes via a roundabout route) and it's got an awful lot about Colour Kinetics use of Patents that many other people (ie: thier competitors) believe to be pre-existing technologies.

I wondered if the Blue Room would care to discuss the use of these Patents and thier opinions on whether Colour Kinetics have a case or not...?

...it's got an awful lot about Colour Kinetics use of Patents that many other people (ie: thier competitors) believe to be pre-existing technologies. 

Well, googling on:

color kinetics patent prior art

gives some interesting links...

I remember reading a few days ago about someone stating some documentation that it is probably not prior art, but I cannot remember where... :-/

I have to say - L&SI seems very biased against colour kinetics... I no nothing about the matter myself but it really comes across that way in the magazine.

I've not read LSI for some time. I wonder whether Colour Kinetics competitors advertise in the mag, but CK don't? This is just the sort of thing that can sway a journo. Think Vauxhall and a "major TV type motoring presenter". I am led to believe that they failed to give him a car at some point, and their cars have been "crap" ever since. Not that I'm saying there not...

Edit

For those who wish to read the application; Patent abstract

Can pull up all of CKs present patents on www.uspto.gov , may need plug in to view images.

Like many U.S. based companies CK are leveraging the U.S. patent system to their advantage.

Nothing wrong with that if your CK, probably with the way the U.S. patent system is malfunctioning it will eventually be to the economic disadvantage of the U.S.

Couple of examples are the Swinging a Swing patent:

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992178

Laser pointer and Cat patent:

http://www.legamedia.net/dy/articles/article_15367.php

More serious are the patents getting granted for DNA sequences.

CKs original patent regarded using Pulse Width Modulation to dim LEDs, nothing new original or non obvious about that, but they got a patent.

The `011 patent, as LSI refers to it as, moves this on to controlling LEDs by virtually any control system.Again old,obvious and unorginal but under the U.S. system entirely patentable.

The `millions` George claims to have spent on R&D is at best being insincere, perhaps a lot of dosh on lawyers but innovative LED products are not what CK are reknowned for.

Issuing cease and desist orders against competitors is more CKs style.

The Avolites Boreallis was an early victim as was Artistic Licences forays into the U.S. market with LED products there are others.

Fail to see how you can claim that LSI is biased against CK when CK get 3 pages of advertorial and the LED Alliance , the group led by Supervison and Artistic Licence , taking action against CK gets a single page.

http://www.svision.com

*snip*

Fail to see how you can claim that LSI is biased against CK when CK get 3 pages of advertorial and the LED Alliance , the group led by Supervison and Artistic Licence ,  taking action against CK gets a single page.

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment - the LED alliance and friends also get most of the first news page(p10),plus they have a *paid* advert at the back of the magazine (p83), plus a much more forgiving article style.

I've not read LSI for some time. I wonder whether Colour Kinetics competitors advertise in the mag, but CK don't? This is just the sort of thing that can sway a journo.

Artistic Licence have an advert on Page 15

Super Vision have the ad on Page 83

Color Kinetics (corrected to accomodate crazy american spelling) have no ads of their own, but Chroma-Q are advertising some kind of LED thingy on p74 which is licenced by Color Kinetics.

*snip*

Fail to see how you can claim that LSI is biased against CK when CK get 3 pages of advertorial and the LED Alliance , the group led by Supervison and Artistic Licence ,  taking action against CK gets a single page.

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment - the LED alliance and friends also get most of the first news page(p10),plus they have a *paid* advert at the back of the magazine (p83), plus a much more forgiving article style.

I've not read LSI for some time. I wonder whether Colour Kinetics competitors advertise in the mag, but CK don't? This is just the sort of thing that can sway a journo.

Artistic Licence have an advert on Page 15

Super Vision have the ad on Page 83

Color Kinetics (corrected to accomodate crazy american spelling) have no ads of their own, but Chroma-Q are advertising some kind of LED thingy on p74 which is licenced by Color Kinetics.

There is a notable lack of CK supporters , at least publically. Lets not forget the letter from Durham Marenghi also critcising CK and statting that he will boycott their products.

As to the more forgiving article given to the LED Alliance, was reminded by the CK interview of David Frost`s interview with Nick Leeson, the man who broke the bank at Barings, `Would you agree with me Nick that you`ve been made a scapegoat for others failings.`

I didn`t personally see a particularly sharp interview with CK, should have been pressed much further on their answers.

CK have considerably less leverage in the European market, perhaps they spend their advertsing budget in LSI America or perhaps the budget otherwise allocated to advertising, like R&D, is spent on other things....

As to the more forgiving article given to the LED Alliance, was reminded by the CK interview of David Frost`s interview with Nick Leeson, the man who broke the bank at Barings, `Would you agree with me Nick that you`ve been made a scapegoat for others failings.`

:)

Bit of a claim to fame, or infamy (infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me ;)), depending on how you look at it, but Nick Leeson went to the same secondary school as me (along with such greats as Tommy Walsh), although he went a lot longer ago.

:P

PN

• 2 months later...
Guest lightnix

It's probably cheaper to just pay the licence fee and gain access to the US market than to pay for lawyers to challenge its legality :blink:

[/cynic]

• 1 month later...

I see this is all hotting up in L&Si this month - apparently Super Vision are applying for a Summary Judgement, using 9 sworn statements from involved people. They've also accused Color Kinetics of lying to two federal court judges about how their staff behaved at "that" tradeshow. It's also interesting to note that a lot of the case revolves around discussion of the old High End Color Pro fixtures.

On a related note, I also notice in L&Si that LumiLEDS are sharpening their lawyers over the Luxeon LEDs. I wonder if the "next big thing" will be saldy buried in a flurry of suits and counter-suits until everyone can't be bothered anymore and goes onto a different technology...?

Archived