0845 number service

timperrett

I am looking at getting an 0845 number, something which I have never looked into before, and just wondered if anyone has any experience and can recommend any solid companies which supply this telephone forwarding service to a landline? Google-ing throws up many options, but I am looking for a personal recommendation, which will be gratefully received.

don't

When I'm looking for a supplier I'll always choose the 0800 number or even the regular landline number over an 0845 number; because they will be free (most phone plans have free calls to regular 01, 02 & 03 numbers) but for an 0845 I'll be paying quite a lot of money to make that call.0845 is also a rather half-assed gesture - it basically says "we sorta want your business, but not enough to actually stump up the full 10p it would have cost us to give you the convenience of a completely free call."

You also need to look at precisely who your client base is as to whether any sort of non-geographic number is actually appropriate - if your service is location based then you really need a true local phone number to emphasise how close you are. If you're predominantly selling to business then absolutly no consideration will be given to the cost of the call BUT using a non-geographic number may make it harder for them to call you as many business telephone systems automatically restrict these types of call. If you're selling a telephone based service to predominantly consumers something which will typically require a lengthy phone call thus making cost a potential issue to the caller/user then a freephone number is great. If you provide this sort of service but want the consumers to be processed much quicker than an 0845 or 0870 number is more appropriate as callers will be mindful of the cost and thus more concise.

Hi,

I'd really look at an 03 number as ofcom are about to shake up the 08 range and also as mentioned above, 0845's cost a lot and 0800's still get charged on mobiles. Ofcom ruling is that 03's must be treat the same as 01 - 02's and come out of bundles etc, much better for your callers.

Voipfone(.co.uk) do them for a couple of quid a month plus forwarding charges or no forwarding charges if you get a sip compatible phone and plug it into your broadband connection. Also great web interface so you can change forward and other settings whenever you want.

Just for the record, I am not associated to VF in any way, just that I have used them (virtually fault free) for over 4 years now.

Andrew

I'd also suggest avoiding 0845... I use an 0330 for most of my business interests and that seems to work well - also provide a normal 01 Geographical numbers for people who are sceptical about 03 (it's a new range - many people still don't understand them)

Another increasingly common number is 0844 - this costs the caller 5p/minute though so personally I wouldn't call them if there is an alternative available but due to the outpayment most providers will forward them free of charge to a geographic landline.

If you have a decent broadband connection I'd vote that VoIP would be your best bet - but get an actual physical SIP Telephone rather than using some piece of software - there's usually a considerable difference in call quality and it means if your computer suddenly starts running slowly due to background tasks your phone call wont suffer.

[in the interests of full disclosure my "real" job is working for a wholesale VoIP provider - I won't plug which - but I work from home and all my phones (including my "home" number) are SIP telephones]

For free 0800 calls from mobiles I've used the number proided by this company in the past.. 0800 Buster.

You call a landline and then, once connected, dial the 0800 number you want and you're connected through them so it costs only what you're charged through your price plan. The landline changes from time to time so check it out.

I found this through Martin Lewis' Money Saving Expert website.

Personally I make 90% of my calls from a mobile, 0800 calls are not available at all and all the other non geographic numbers cost on top of my bundle. So 01 and 02 numbers are the ones I call, 07 if I really need someone's mobile. Why do you need to hide your location behind a dodgy number?

I actively choose a different supplier over one publishing an 0845 - it means only 2 things - one man band or cheapskates - and thats hos they add to their bottom line, I would rather not find out the other money saving corners they will cut - we have an 0800 for seeking business and publish the real and mobile contact numbers so you choose whichever you want to call. I want your business - and 0845 does not say that.

To play devils advocate slightly - 0845 numbers were originally intended to save people money, when national and local numbers cost differently and very few people had mobiles. Obviously this has changed significantly now, but I wouldn't automatically assume that a business using an 0845 number is a cheapskate - maybe they are just still under the deluded impression it is better for their customers.

I wasn't expecting a whole debate as to the validity/convenience/appropriateness/business sense/prospect of becoming "a one-man-band hiding behind a dodgy" 0845 number!

I just want one for a long term number which we know won't change as the company grows and changes over the next few years. It's a number to put on cable and equipment labels, PAL labels and the like - not really so much as a "published" number but to hopefully save us money in the long run so we don't need to relabel all of our kit in two years time at great inconvenience and cost and if the kit hasn't found its way home, someone in our industry might be honest enough to call us and we can arrange collection of it.

So...I am looking at getting an 0845 number, something which I have never looked into before, and just wondered if anyone has any experience and can recommend any solid companies which supply this telephone forwarding service to a landline? Google-ing throws up many options, but I am looking for a personal recommendation, which will be gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.

If I see an 0845 number then I wont dial it as we are with a phone company that doesnt include them in the call package. 0845 numbers usually earn the dialled party a fee and it follows that some companies are likely to increase the time they put you on hold so as to earn more income from the call.

I often base my choice of suppliers on whether I need to call an 0845 number or not. There is often a dubious reason for a company adopting 0845 numbers and at the very least it arouses my suspicions whenever I see one.

Trying to stay "phone number change proof" is not a good reason to get an 0845 as it will cost you MORE to maintain the 0845 number subscription AND the land-line it diverts to than it will just to maintain a landline number. There's also no guaranty that your number provider won't change their number formats, go bust or change their pricing plan further down the line forcing you to pay more or loose the number.

All the arguments about 0845 numbers apply even more if you're using it as a number for people to (basically) do you a favour by ringing to tell you they've found some of your kit.

If you want a future-proof labeling option for your kit that avoids ALL these problems then slap your WEBSITE address on the label (not an email address as these do change over time) and make sure your website has a clear "contact us" link. 100% future proof and virtually zero cost. Everyone in this industry will have ready, regular and easy access to an internet connection that they could use to contact you quickly & easily to tell you about the kit they've found.

Archived