Control Room Etiquette

stebee

:D

I believe there is a product on the market called the 'Anyway up cup' which wont spill any liquid no matter what you do to it. they even set it in the UK mail to see what would happen to it!!

check them out...anyway up cup

this devices would allow drinks to be drunk in the control room with out the worry of spilling liquid on your expencive equipment

On a more sencible note,

having only work in university space, the ruling is NO eating, drinking, or any other kinda activity, other than those needed to get the production done. Its plan ruded not to follow the rules if you cant wait 1hr for a cuppa you aint worth employing. :D

the ruling is NO ... other kinda activity, other than those needed to get the production done.

Sounds like quite a lot of "other" activities might happen in Uni control rooms, given the chance :D

:D

Lmao - not only is the AnywayUpCup practical, it will also protect our growing teeth - ideal for new people in the industry!

I laughed till my sides split! very funny! :D :D

• 2 weeks later...
Having said this, I was once appalled by a chap who ran a show with a pint of lager in one hand, a pack of crips on top of the monitor, and his other hand on the manual masters.

I never ceaced to be amazed when I was with the OB teams with the state that the technical areas of some of the trucks would come back in. I mean I've found pints of larger (still containing larger) wedged between the OCP's in vision engineering and I heard a story of a full pint left on the sound desk of one of the big radio digital desks (SSL 5000 IIRC) and the driver didn't spill a drop as he drove it back across half the country. I mean wedged between a couple of bits of kit is one thing but a sloping fronted sound desk is something else.

James

• 2 weeks later...

What the hell are you all talking about?? If you are stupid enough to spill a drink on your desks etc, then frankly, you shouldn't be operating the show in the first place!

I eat and drink while operating and also read. There's no problem with it. Pay attention when needed, and simply don't be clumsy and spill things!

Bravo Wingnut! I thought I was on my own there, so was keeping quiet. To be honest, I'm totally incapable of plotting without a can of coke and some kind of chocolate. And I have been known to sup the odd cheeky San Miguel during rock gigs...it helps me overcome my fear of flashing. ( :D Lights! ;) )

But...If I was in someone else's venue, and they didn't want me to eat and drink, I just wouldn't. I'm not really sure how just saying: "you can't" isn't working...

Er I have to agree with Bryson here as well :D

However, if someone didn't want me to read while oping a show, or having a drink up there, then I wouldn't - but most people I know who op a show all week will get through a big chunky book with no problems!

Stu

Archived