Snow White's "Glass" coffin

james3mc

I need to build Snow White's "glass" looking coffin, and on almost zero budget.

Firstly, has anyone got a spare SW coffin? (Well if you don't ask).

Secondly, does anyone have a source for a coffin design - it's got to be simply because I'm no prop-maker at all

Thirdly, perspex is very expensive and I really don't want to use glass. I was thinking of having nothing in the sides at all - what do folk think?

I'm in Wimbledon.

Clingfilm stretched over a frame? Well you did say almost Zero budget ;)

Yes I did experiment with clingfilm, but even over a small area, it's impossible to keep a clean taut surface that's free of lines.

Yes I did experiment with clingfilm, but even over a small area, it's impossible to keep a clean taut surface that's free of lines.

What about the plastic double-glazing stuff? You heat it to get rid of wrinkles. Sorry - no idea of price.

I'm going to go the way I usually do in these circumstances.

With something like this, and no budget, I'd be going back to the director with a quetion.....

How much do you REALLY want this particular piece of set? If it's essential to the plot, then the budget needs to be found from somewhere.

If it's not, then do it some other way. The last time I did Snow White she was sinply laid out on a basic shaped plinth built from 'spare' timber and covered in rouched material which made it look a little rock-like.

Simples.

Years a go I built one of these but unfortunately don't have any photo's as they got lost when the venue closed down. Our coffin was a basic frame with open sides covered in Lee 130 (clear) the top was left open as our SW was a bit claustrophobic. The coffin frame was painted white with iridescent glitter coated over the top.

Hope this give you some ideas. please post pics of yours if and when you build it.

A bit like this then,

Nowhere near as pretty! ;)

Here's ours, before it was painted.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/Ynot_01/Snow1.jpg

Now, to the OP, a thought has occured to me...

I built a shower cubicle a couple of years back - though it wasn't transparent, (obviously didn't need to be) I used a double thickness of DPM (Damp proof membrane) from the local builders' merchants.

Archived