Low Cost Multicore Drum

Yorkie

I've been asked to put a budget 24+8 Multi on to a drum, whether that be leaving the multi as-is or soldering it up to a new drum mounted stagebox. I am pretty sure that the former is not going to prove satisfactory, so I am looking for suitable drums with a built in stagebox.

So far this thomann offering looks like the best option; I'm just waiting to find out if the drum includes the side panel or not. The Loudest have a similar but larger and heavier drum at twice the price. CPC don't appear to offer anything and Studiospares website is at best minimally helpful. I am aware that VDC, Canford, Direct Cable Systems etc all supply fine products that would be suitable but they are out of the budget in this instance. I have also managed to establish that it will not be cheaper to buy a new budget drum-mounted multi.

Does anyone have any other ideas for potential drum suppliers?

As a bit of a super budget curveball, we once used a budget hose reel and modified it so the current stagebox would slot onto the end using key shaped holes and studs and then led the multi cable through a slot. Very cheap and meant that when unwound, the reel could be hidden out of the way.

Don't put your multi on a reel. Figure 8 it into a flightcase. Tape some mains to the multicore while you're at it. Multicores on reels are slow and cumbersome and have no benfits over a flightcase, and this way would save the effort of reterminating your multi.

Thick and/or long multis on drums are hugely heavy, and never reel in properly as the available oomph vs friction means you end up using lots of people to wind, guide, heavy and they need a flight case to move them about because the teeny wheels are useless. +1 for the fig 8 in a case.

I have discussed this with my customer, the usual transport for this multi is a car, and therefore the extra bulk of a flightcase is unecessary and undesirable. My customer is aware that the wheels will not be particularly good quality, but given that the multicore is a budget offering, also aware that it would not survive continuous harsh use. I have read the previous thread on whether or not to have a drum, and have concluded that in this instance, a drum is appropriate, hence my thread asking what drum to use, rather than whether or not to use a drum. Comments advising against drums in general are not at all helpful. 32 way 30m is the limit of the Thomann drum, and I understand why; with a longer (or larger) multicore, using a drum is not a good idea, I agree that a flightcase is a better option. Such a cable does not exist in this instance however.

To clarify: I would be grateful of suggestions for drums capable of taking 30m of 32 pair cable available for less than £100 inc VAT.

Thanks Paul. I've now had a full look through the Studiospares website and that is their drum-only budget offering for my required size (and most others!). Somewhat amateurishly they state "At a push can fit 50m of 36 pair cable", even though the side panel includes 24 sockets and no plugs ?!? I think I will have to await my printed catalogue to decipher this one: http://www.studiospares.com/invt/548560/

I did try to once calculate the amount of cable that will fit on a drum, and the maths is quite horrible. Length of cable and the internal and external diameter of each turn and all the individual lays. In the end, I still had to cut a bit off that wouldn't fit. So much for the maths!

Archived